Unrecognized attribute 'filePath'

Topics: Enterprise Library Core
May 3, 2007 at 7:38 AM
I'm trying to use an external config source as shown in this p&p guidance (entlib3 april-07): http://www.pnpguidance.net/Post/EnterpriseLibraryExternalConfigurationSourceApplicationBlockSettings.aspx

<section name="enterpriseLibrary.ConfigurationSource" type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Common.Configuration.ConfigurationSourceSection, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Common, Version=, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a" />

There is no "file" property in the config editor, and if I add the filePath attribute manually to app.config, I get the following config error: Unrecognized attribute 'filePath'.

Any ideas ?

Also, when I get this working, will it be possible to use an external config source for all the WCF config stuff ?
May 3, 2007 at 11:36 AM
This happened when adding the config sections node from within VS2005. It worked when using the standalone EntLibConfig.exe. Problem solved.

Still, does the config source and environment overrides/deltas and the MergeConfiguration.exe only work with EntLib sections and old-style appSettings ?
May 3, 2007 at 12:48 PM
I just wrote a tutorial on it here:

Enterprise Library External File Configuration Source for Application Block Settings

David Hayden
Microsoft MVP C#
May 3, 2009 at 2:32 AM

Does the environment overrides/deltas and the MergeConfiguration.exe only work with EntLib sections ?
Or it can replace parts of any config section?
Does deltaConfig schema documented anywhere?
May 4, 2009 at 2:49 AM
It can only override configuration elements that the entlib tool knows about.  Unless you add configuration support for those config sections, you won't be able to override them. 

I tried to find a documentation for the schema but can't find any.

Sarah Urmeneta
Global Technology & Solutions
Avanade, Inc.