EL3 not in GAC following default installation

Topics: Building and extending application blocks
Apr 11, 2007 at 9:33 PM
I installed the released version of EL3, including loading the source, but according to gacutil /l, it never made it into the GAC. I thought this was done automatically, using a key that only the makers of EL3 know (which is OK by me). What did I do wrong? I also notice there isn't a Tools/ menu item for the Strong Name Guidance tool in VS 2005 SP1. Platform is Windows Server 2003 R2 with SP2.
Apr 12, 2007 at 12:39 AM
This is by design - we don't install the assemblies into the GAC since we don't know if you want them there. It should be straightforward to add the signed assemblies (which are in installpath\bin) to the GAC using gacutil or dragging to \Windows\Assembly.

Regarding the Strong Naming Guidance Package, you enable this through Tools | Guidance Package Manager, provided both GAX and the SNGP are installed

Tom
Apr 12, 2007 at 1:06 AM
Thanks for the clarification. I kept looking for a delivered .BAT or .CMD file that would perform the necessary gacutil calls. There are so many existing .BAT files in EL3, I figured surely there must one for installing into the GAC ;-)

If I may make a suggestion for the future, please update the EL3 installer to include an optional step that would ask if we want to auto-install into the GAC. This step would be unchecked by default. If additional software is needed, that optional step would check for and offer to install anything that is missing.