The configuration section for Logging cannot be found in the configuration source

Topics: Logging Application Block
Apr 3, 2007 at 2:03 PM
It is my intent to utilize the Enterprise Library Application Blocks. I am new to dotNet. I have downloaded the ‘Enterprise Library – January 2006’ version. The solution built successfully and I can execute the ‘Hands on Labs’ for logging. To transition to my code base, I did the following:
created a C# console application,
added the project references
(Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Common.dll
Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.dll
Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder.dll),
created the app.config file with the ‘Enterprise Libray Configuration’ utility (contents below),
saved and closed both solution and configuration files.

When I execute the solution within Visual Studio 2005, I receive the following error:

The configuration section for Logging
cannot be found in the configuration source.

A section with the name of “loggingConfiguration” definitely exists. It is like it does not see my app.config file.

I have tried with the app.config in the same folder as the .sln file and also in the folder containing my program.cs file. Thinking it might be an issue with the app.config I created, I even copied the app.config from the QuickStart project. All efforts produced the same error message.

I have the sense that I am overlooking the obvious.

- app.config contents -
<configuration>
<configSections>
<section name="loggingConfiguration" type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.Configuration.LoggingSettings, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null" />
</configSections>
<loggingConfiguration name="Logging Application Block" tracingEnabled="true"
defaultCategory="General" logWarningsWhenNoCategoriesMatch="true">
<listeners>
<add source="Enterprise Library Logging" formatter="Text Formatter"
log="Btest" machineName="" listenerDataType="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.Configuration.FormattedEventLogTraceListenerData, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null"
traceOutputOptions="None" type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.TraceListeners.FormattedEventLogTraceListener, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null"
name="Formatted EventLog TraceListener" />
</listeners>
<formatters>
<add template="Timestamp: {timestamp}&#xD;&#xA;Message: {message}&#xD;&#xA;Category: {category}&#xD;&#xA;Priority: {priority}&#xD;&#xA;EventId: {eventid}&#xD;&#xA;Severity: {severity}&#xD;&#xA;Title:{title}&#xD;&#xA;Machine: {machine}&#xD;&#xA;Application Domain: {appDomain}&#xD;&#xA;Process Id: {processId}&#xD;&#xA;Process Name: {processName}&#xD;&#xA;Win32 Thread Id: {win32ThreadId}&#xD;&#xA;Thread Name: {threadName}&#xD;&#xA;Extended Properties: {dictionary({key} - {value}&#xD;&#xA;)}"
type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.Formatters.TextFormatter, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null"
name="Text Formatter" />
</formatters>
<categorySources>
<add switchValue="All" name="General">
<listeners>
<add name="Formatted EventLog TraceListener" />
</listeners>
</add>
</categorySources>
<specialSources>
<allEvents switchValue="All" name="All Events" />
<notProcessed switchValue="All" name="Unprocessed Category" />
<errors switchValue="All" name="Logging Errors & Warnings">
<listeners>
</listeners>
</errors>
</specialSources>
</loggingConfiguration>
</configuration>

- MyLoggingBTest.cs contents -
using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.Text;
using Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Common.Configuration;
using Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging;

namespace MyLoggingBTest
{
class Program
{
static void Main(string[] args)
{
LogEntry log = new LogEntry();
log.Message = string.Format("Logging has been successfully added to the application ");
Logger.Write(log);

}
}
}

Apr 3, 2007 at 2:42 PM
I added your configuration information above to a new app.config file and then opened the app.config with the Ent Lib 2.0 Configuration Tool and received 29 errors. You definitely have problems with your configuration information.

The Enterprise Library Configuration Tool will verify the configuration before saving it to app.config, so you shouldn't get errrors like this when using the configuration tool.

I recommend deleting you current app.config, re-adding a new one, and then using the configuration tool to update the new app.config. Just adding the Logging Block Node in the configuration tool will give you a complete and valid logging configuration. From there you can just modify it to you custom needs.

Regards,

Dave

David Hayden
Microsoft MVP C#
Apr 3, 2007 at 5:25 PM
My apologies, David - I had created the config file with the Enterprise Library Configuration Tool. I think I copied the contents from another source. To be sure, I saved my old file, created a new with the Enterprise Library Configuration Tool and reran the application code above. Thanks for taking time to review this. Here is the contents of my app.config that causes the original error:

- app.config contents -
<configuration>
<configSections>
<section name="loggingConfiguration" type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.Configuration.LoggingSettings, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null" />
<section name="dataConfiguration" type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Data.Configuration.DatabaseSettings, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Data, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null" />
</configSections>
<loggingConfiguration name="Logging Application Block" tracingEnabled="true"
defaultCategory="General" logWarningsWhenNoCategoriesMatch="true">
<listeners>
<add source="MyLoggingTest_B" formatter="Text Formatter" log="Application"
machineName="" listenerDataType="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.Configuration.FormattedEventLogTraceListenerData, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null"
traceOutputOptions="None" type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.TraceListeners.FormattedEventLogTraceListener, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null"
name="Formatted EventLog TraceListener" />
</listeners>
<formatters>
<add template="Timestamp: {timestamp}&#xD;&#xA;Message: {message}&#xD;&#xA;Category: {category}&#xD;&#xA;Priority: {priority}&#xD;&#xA;EventId: {eventid}&#xD;&#xA;Severity: {severity}&#xD;&#xA;Title:{title}&#xD;&#xA;Machine: {machine}&#xD;&#xA;Application Domain: {appDomain}&#xD;&#xA;Process Id: {processId}&#xD;&#xA;Process Name: {processName}&#xD;&#xA;Win32 Thread Id: {win32ThreadId}&#xD;&#xA;Thread Name: {threadName}&#xD;&#xA;Extended Properties: {dictionary({key} - {value}&#xD;&#xA;)}"
type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.Formatters.TextFormatter, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null"
name="Text Formatter" />
</formatters>
<categorySources>
<add switchValue="All" name="General">
<listeners>
</listeners>
</add>
</categorySources>
<specialSources>
<allEvents switchValue="All" name="All Events" />
<notProcessed switchValue="All" name="Unprocessed Category" />