ExecuteNonQuery(DBCommand) returns -1 inappropriately.

Topics: Data Access Application Block
Mar 19, 2007 at 5:50 PM
I am using the Enterprise Library to insert a row into a database. When I call ExecuteNonQuery on the database, the row is inserted as expected but the return value is not the expected value of 1. Instead it is -1. In another similar method used for updating existing objects, the call to ExecuteNonQuery does return 1 as expected. Any ideas why I would get -1 back from a successful insert?

Here's the code:

// In my using section at the top of the file:
using DAAB = Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Data;

// Code from my insert method:
DAAB.Database db = DAAB.DatabaseFactory.CreateDatabase(connectionStringName);
System.Data.Common.DbCommand dbc = db.GetStoredProcCommand("dbo.InsertChargeYieldByDetailId");

db.AddInParameter(dbc, "@DetailId", DbType.Int32, productDetailId);

db.AddInParameter(dbc, "@ActualCyComments", DbType.AnsiString, chargeYield.ActualCyComments);
db.AddInParameter(dbc, "@ActualCyVolume", DbType.Decimal, chargeYield.ActualVolume);
db.AddInParameter(dbc, "@PlannedBarrelsPerDay", DbType.Decimal, chargeYield.PlannedBPD);
db.AddInParameter(dbc, "@PlannedCyComments", DbType.AnsiString, chargeYield.PlannedCyComments);
db.AddInParameter(dbc, "@PlannedCyDollars", DbType.Decimal, chargeYield.PlannedDollars);
db.AddInParameter(dbc, "@PlanRate", DbType.Decimal, chargeYield.PlanRate);
db.AddOutParameter(dbc, "@ChargeYieldId", DbType.Int32, 4);

int rowCount = db.ExecuteNonQuery(dbc);
bool success = rowCount == 1;

if (success)
chargeYield.Id = (int)dbc.Parameters"@ChargeYieldId".Value;

return success;
Mar 19, 2007 at 8:02 PM
You may have

in your stored procedure.

David Hayden
Microsoft MVP C#
Mar 19, 2007 at 8:11 PM

DavidHayden wrote:
You may have

in your stored procedure.

You are correct. NOCOUNT is sort of the evil nemesis of ADO, isn't it? Can't live without it in SELECT queries; can't live with it in UPDATE or INSERT queries.

Thanks for the help.