Error while starting Enterprise Library Distributor Service

Topics: General discussion, Logging Application Block
Jan 21, 2010 at 4:30 PM

Hi everybody,

I'm experiencing a problem while I'm trying to start the "Enterprise Library Distributor Service".

I followed this guide http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd203267.aspx and everything goes OK, but when I go to Start --> Administration Tools --> Services and I try to start the service...well a message says:

"Impossible to start the Enterprise Library Distributor Service on the local computer"

"Error 1075: The dependency service doesn't exist or it has been marked for elimination"

(I hope the error messages are well translated)

Thank you for any help ^_^

Jan 21, 2010 at 4:59 PM

I add some information if may help.

This is the Log of the installation of the Enterprise Library Distributor Service:

c:\Program Files\Microsoft Enterprise Library 4.1 - October 2008\Bin>InstallUtil
 /i MsmqDistributor.exe
Microsoft (R) .NET Framework Installation utility Version 4.0.21006.1
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Running a transacted installation.

Beginning the Install phase of the installation.
See the contents of the log file for the c:\Program Files\Microsoft Enterprise L
ibrary 4.1 - October 2008\Bin\MsmqDistributor.exe assembly's progress.
The file is located at c:\Program Files\Microsoft Enterprise Library 4.1 - October 2008\Bin\MsmqDistributor.InstallLog.
Installing assembly 'c:\Program Files\Microsoft Enterprise Library 4.1 - October 2008\Bin\MsmqDistributor.exe'.
Affected parameters are:
   logtoconsole =
   i =
   logfile = c:\Program Files\Microsoft Enterprise Library 4.1 - October 2008\Bin\MsmqDistributor.InstallLog
   assemblypath = c:\Program Files\Microsoft Enterprise Library 4.1 - October 2008\Bin\MsmqDistributor.exe
Installing WMI Schema: Started
Installing WMI Schema: Finished
Installing service Enterprise Library Distributor Service...
Service Enterprise Library Distributor Service has been successfully installed.
Creating EventLog source Enterprise Library Distributor Service in log Application...
Creating EventLog source Enterprise Library Distributor Service in log Application...

The Install phase completed successfully, and the Commit phase is beginning.
See the contents of the log file for the c:\Program Files\Microsoft Enterprise Library 4.1 - October 2008\Bin\MsmqDistributor.exe assembly's progress.
The file is located at c:\Program Files\Microsoft Enterprise Library 4.1 - October 2008\Bin\MsmqDistributor.InstallLog.
Committing assembly 'c:\Program Files\Microsoft Enterprise Library 4.1 - October 2008\Bin\MsmqDistributor.exe'.
Affected parameters are:
   logtoconsole =
   i =
   logfile = c:\Program Files\Microsoft Enterprise Library 4.1 - October 2008\Bin\MsmqDistributor.InstallLog
   assemblypath = c:\Program Files\Microsoft Enterprise Library 4.1 - October 2008\Bin\MsmqDistributor.exe

The Commit phase completed successfully.

The transacted install has completed.

Jan 22, 2010 at 5:16 AM

Hi,

Can you please try the ff:

1. Uninstall the ent lib instrumentation.
  2. Uninstall the MsmqDistributor.exe.
  3. Restart the machine.
  4. Install the ent lib instrumentation.
  5. Reinstall the MsmqDistributor.exe.

Valiant Dudan
Global Technology and Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@avanade.com

Jan 22, 2010 at 8:07 AM
Edited Jan 22, 2010 at 9:14 AM

I tried to do like you said. No way...same problem :(

Am I missing something? I'm using Windows 7.

I had a look at the Event Log and I saw this: "The Enterprise Library Distributor Service depends from Message Queuing Service, that could not be installed"

but the Message Queuing Service is installed up and running...

So why such message in the Event Log? I can't understand what I do the wrong way...

Jan 22, 2010 at 9:32 AM

Hi,

Yes, I saw that message too. What I did is to enable the all the component of the Message Queue. then uninstall the Ent lib distributor. Restart. Then install the distributor again.

NOTE: Make sure to run the Visual Studio Command Prompt in an Adminsitrator mode(Run as Administrator). Then install.

Valiant Dudan
Avanade, Inc.

Jan 22, 2010 at 9:58 AM

I had already installed all the Message Queueing components from Control Panel...

I tried to remove the msmqDistributor and installed again...no way...the event log says always the above message :(

NOTE: I always executed Visual Studio Command Prompt in an Administrator mode.

What else could be wrong?

Jan 22, 2010 at 11:52 AM

Maybe I managed to find a workaround: following this http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd349426(WS.10).aspx I set the dependencies of the "Enterprise Library Distributor Service" to null (removing Message Queuing dependence from list)

In this way I managed to start the service! But I just wonder...why doesn't Windows recognize automatically that the Message Queuing is already up and running?

However...for now everything seems to work ^_^ I would appreciate any news on this subject :) thank you!

Jan 25, 2010 at 5:07 AM

I wasn't able to repro this on my win xp machine.  We'll try it out once we have a windows 7 image.

Sarah Urmeneta
Avanade, Inc.