Announcing the Policy Injection Application Block

Topics: Policy Injection Application Block, Pre-release discussions
Feb 23, 2007 at 5:01 PM
Edited Feb 23, 2007 at 5:53 PM
We've just announced the addition of a new block to Enterprise Library 3.0, which will be debuting in the February 2007 CTP: the Policy Injection Application Block. While we're still a few days from releasing the CTP (February isn't quite over yet!), you can get the inside scoop now by reading the intro on my blog and some more detailed notes on the design on Ed's blog.

Please let us know if you have any questions, concerns or praise!

Feb 23, 2007 at 6:16 PM
Wow! Am I reading this right!?

It sounds that at the very least this new block can totally change how one uses Enterprise Library. Rather than explicity calling Enterprise Library services throughout the application and hardcoding policies as to when this happens, one can now describe these policies via configuration and add the services as handlers. One can adjust policies and the services they invoke transparently via configuration and not muck up our business objects with non-business related code!

By leveraging the Chain Of Responsibility Pattern, handlers can impact the runtime behavior of other handlers and even keep them from running altogether by not calling the next in line. This is phenomenal flexibility. This can be dangerous to troubleshoot, but as Ed mentions in his blog, don't constrain functionality by protecting developers from making mistakes.

Very, very exciting! This is a big addition to EntLib 3.0!

I can't wait to play with it to get a better understanding of its potential.

David Hayden
Microsoft MVP C#
Feb 23, 2007 at 7:07 PM
You got it Dave! :-)
Feb 25, 2007 at 2:25 PM
Edited Feb 25, 2007 at 2:26 PM
I'm looking forward to see samples of this block!

When do U plan to release the feb. release? Early march? ;-)
Feb 25, 2007 at 5:52 PM
Thanks Benny :-). We're putting the final touches on the Feb CTP now, so I have high (but not total) confidence it will still be February when we release it!

Feb 26, 2007 at 10:13 AM
Some comments summed up in a post: