Using Logging ... ?

Topics: Logging Application Block
Nov 3, 2009 at 9:57 AM
Edited Nov 3, 2009 at 10:24 AM

I'm a bit of a newbe on programming, so a lot of concepts are new to me. Reading on interntet I have reach the conclusion tha logging is "good".

I have prepared my application for using the Loggin Application Block.

The syntax is so to say understod, I can send a logg message,,, but what about the "semantics". ????

The  LogEntry class contains a lot of properties. Some of the I understand,,, like Message (kind of obvious what to use it for).

Looking into the EventViewer gives a number of fields that I reconice from the LogEntry,, so I could always give them some kind of value........... 

So,, down to my questions.

- Is there a common understanding of the meaning of all the propertys??? (and what could that be?)

- Is there a accepted design pattern for managing values for those propertys??

Nov 4, 2009 at 2:09 AM

The LogEntry properties are documented, you can see it in the entlib documentation which comes with the installation.  But for me, you'll get a better idea about those if you looked into the source code.  As for your second question, I'm not sure what do you mean by managing values of those properties, are you thinking about any specific issue?

Sarah Urmeneta
Global Technology and Solutions
Avanade, Inc.

Nov 5, 2009 at 1:36 PM

Maby I was not so clear in my question :)

I can read the documentation. For example there is a EventIdProperty. Its a int.  No problem for me to set it to a value.

My question aimed at,,   whats the general use for this property. How do I use it in a application. Guess it boils down to,, what is a eventId in this context.....