Validation AB - trace rules fired?

Topics: Validation Application Block
Feb 15, 2007 at 12:34 AM
I have implemented the new Validation AB, rewrote my validation schema (since it changed from the first release), now the rules do not work.

Can someone please tell me how I can turn on tracing or logging to see what this is doing?

Feb 15, 2007 at 12:46 AM
Some WMI events and perf counters are fired by the block if you switch instrumentation on, however it sounds like you should probably reference the source-code version of the block and step through it in the debugger.

Feb 15, 2007 at 1:43 PM
I expect this will be a common occurance, as we will have hundreds of rules when this system goes into production. Can you shed some light on enabling instrumentation? Unfortunately the documentation with the code is insufficient and searching on this site or the web reveals little.

Feb 15, 2007 at 1:53 PM
I stand corrected - at the end of the VABjanctp document in the docs directory is a section on how to enable instrumentation. I will see if that helps out.
Feb 15, 2007 at 2:27 PM
Instrumentation does not help - do you have logging in the validation block? I do not have the time to learn your code and run the debugger through your code.

Feb 19, 2007 at 5:24 PM
This goes back to my Issue Tracker Request to be able to have some way to test validation from within the configuration tool so that validation rules are easy to debug and verify. You may want to vote / expand upon it or write a new issue more specific:

By not work, are you getting an exception or error during validation or are you just having issues configuring / setting the validation rules properly?

If you are having issues configuring / setting the validation rules properly, I don't know of an easy way to help pinpoint problems with the configuration / settings of your validation rules. This is why I was hoping for a test bench built into the configuration tool.

David Hayden
Microsoft MVP C#