EL4 - Install Issue : "System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format."

Topics: General discussion
Oct 1, 2009 at 6:24 AM
This is a repost from an Issue Tracker" post.
I am trying to install the Enterprise Library (4.1) instrumentation using the command : InstallServices.bat
It fails provide the following information in the console log:

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Installing Services for the Caching Application Block
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft (R) .NET Framework Installation utility Version 2.0.50727.4927
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
Running a transacted installation.
Beginning the Install phase of the installation.
See the contents of the log file for the c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Enterprise Library 4.1 - October 2008\Bin\Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Caching.dll assembly's progress.
The file is located at c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Enterprise Library 4.1 - October 2008\Bin\Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Caching.InstallLog.
Installing assembly 'c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Enterprise Library 4.1 - October 2008\Bin\Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Caching.dll'.
Affected parameters are:
logtoconsole =
assemblypath = c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Enterprise Library 4.1 - October 2008\Bin\Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Caching.dll
logfile = c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Enterprise Library 4.1 - October 2008\Bin\Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Caching.InstallLog
Installing WMI Schema: Started
Installing WMI Schema: Finished
Creating performance counter category Enterprise Library Caching Counters.
An exception occurred during the Install phase.
System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.

Can you give me some guidance as to how I go about debugging this problem?
NB.
1. I did run the command ass Administrator
2. The OS is Windows 7 RTM (64bit)
3. The installed database server is SQL Server 2008 (64bit)

When I manually execute the InstallUtil command I get the following failure information:-

c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Enterprise Library 4.1 - October 2008\Bin>installUtil /showCallStack Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Caching.dll
Microsoft (R) .NET Framework Installation utility Version 2.0.50727.4927
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Running a transacted installation.

Beginning the Install phase of the installation.
See the contents of the log file for the c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Enterprise Library 4.1 - October 2008\Bin\Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Caching.dll assembly's progress.
The file is located at c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Enterprise Library 4.1 - October 2008\Bin\Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Caching.InstallLog.
Installing assembly 'c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Enterprise Library 4.1 - October 2008\Bin\Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Caching.dll'.
Affected parameters are:
logtoconsole =
assemblypath = c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Enterprise Library 4.1 - October 2008\Bin\Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Caching.dll
showcallstack =
logfile = c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Enterprise Library 4.1 - October 2008\Bin\Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Caching.InstallLog
Installing WMI Schema: Started
Installing WMI Schema: Finished
Creating performance counter category Enterprise Library Caching Counters.

An exception occurred during the Install phase.
System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.
at System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal)
at System.Number.ParseInt32(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)
at System.Int32.Parse(String s, IFormatProvider provider)
at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterLib.GetStringTable(Boolean isHelp)
at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterLib.get_NameTable()
at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterLib.get_CategoryTable()
at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterLib.CategoryExists(String machine, String category)
at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterCategory.Create(String categoryName, String categoryHelp, PerformanceCounterCategoryType categoryType, CounterCreationDataCollection counterData)
at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterInstaller.Install(IDictionary stateSaver)
at System.Configuration.Install.Installer.Install(IDictionary stateSaver)
at Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Common.Instrumentation.ReflectionInstaller`1.Install(IDictionary stateSaver)
at System.Configuration.Install.AssemblyInstaller.Install(IDictionary savedState)
at System.Configuration.Install.TransactedInstaller.Install(IDictionary savedState)

Which is not much more help!

This issue can be resolved using the "lodctr /r" command as described in the TechNet article at : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd363694(WS.10).aspx

Oct 1, 2009 at 6:55 AM

Thanks for posting and sharing this to the community.  Glad it didn't cause you any problem running that command in Windows  7.  I see that that command applies to windows server os.

Sarah Urmeneta
Global Technology and Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@avanade.com