[EL 4.1 DAAB / Oracle 10g R2 (10.2.4)] / [POOLING / ERROR : Timeout / max pool size was reached]

Topics: Data Access Application Block, General discussion
Jun 4, 2009 at 2:54 PM
Edited Jun 5, 2009 at 7:25 AM

Hi,

I am using System.Data.OracleClient provider to connect my Oracle 10g R2 database via EL 4.1 DAAB. Whether I use Pooling or not, I got the error below.

"Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to obtaining a connection from the pool. This may have occurred because all pooled connections were in use and max pool size was reached."

Is anyone have a smart solution(or suggestion) for this fatal error?

Jun 5, 2009 at 3:12 AM

Are you using IDataReader?  Make sure you're closing/disposing the connection when using datareader. 

Sarah Urmeneta
Global Technology & Solutions
Avande, Inc.
entlib.support@avanade.com

Jun 5, 2009 at 7:13 AM

I'am using the [using - end using] code block where I use IDataReader. When I debug my code, I see at the end of using code block,  the state of the IDatareader (isClosed=True) is always closed.

Besides this operation on .net , I also watch the connections detailly from the TOAD's Session Monitor. If I use pooling, the sessions was limited at the maximun size defined at web config ( max pool size = 10 ). It seems the pooling system is working fine. If I don't use pooling, this time I see that every opened connection is closed after finishing its job. I seems the non-pooling system is also working fine.

My problem is, after elapsing some time, Even if everything seems going fine, I suddenly get the error message above.

Jun 5, 2009 at 7:27 AM

Found this blog, seems like it's the same issue as with yours.  There are some solutions recommended, see if any of those would work for you.

Sarah Urmeneta
Avande, Inc.

Jun 5, 2009 at 7:54 AM

Can I have the full link of that post ?

Jun 5, 2009 at 7:56 AM

Oops, forgot to put it, sorry :) - http://rainmanalex.wordpress.com/2008/11/13/connection-pooling-issues-with-oracle-odpnet/

Sarah Urmeneta
Avande, Inc.

Jun 5, 2009 at 9:16 AM
Edited Jun 6, 2009 at 8:50 PM

I really appreciate for your suggesstions.

Jun 6, 2009 at 8:51 PM

But I am still getting this error. Actually I own another data acces layer written by using System.Data.OracleClient provider's functionality , is working fine. I start to get this error when I decide to use DAAB, still I want to use DAAB, so I need to find what causes this error.

Do you think that this is an error of DAAB (EL 4.1) , Oracle (10 g R2), VS (Frmwk. 3.5) , Operation System (WS 2003) or our code imlementation of DAAB ?