Semantic Logging - Out of process

Topics: Semantic Logging Application Block
Nov 18, 2014 at 12:18 PM
Edited Nov 18, 2014 at 12:24 PM
I have created dll called “SemanticLogging.CustomSink”. It will have code for custom sink implementation to write log file to azure blob storage.

Please find and review attached xml file.

When I try this in “In process” it is working fine.

I have taken this dll and moved to semantic logging out of process implemented folder. But while I’m executing this, it is throwing me below error.

C:\Users\saravana_ayyadurai\Desktop\SemanticLoggingService>SemanticLogging-svc.exe -console
Enterprise Library Semantic Logging Service v1.0.1304.0
Microsoft Enterprise Library
Microsoft Corporation

One or more errors occurred when loading the TraceEventService configuration file.
Could not load type 'SemanticLogging.CustomSink' from assembly 'Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.SemanticLogging.Etw, Version=, Culture=neutral,

Configuration element:
<customSink name="customblobsink" type="SemanticLogging.CustomSink" xmlns="">

Kindly let me share your help to close this issue.
Nov 21, 2014 at 3:41 AM
<customSink name="customblobsink" type="SemanticLogging.CustomSink"
The assembly is missing from the type definition. If you add the assembly name (e.g. "SemanticLogging.CustomSink, CustomSinkAssembly") to the config the error should be resolved.

Randy Levy
Enterprise Library support engineer
Support How-to
Nov 21, 2014 at 5:28 AM
Thanks lot Randy. Error resolved. Appreciated.

Can you look at the below content of error while i'm trying to execute SemanticLogging-svc.exe -s in administrator mode opened command prompt.

" Can not start service Enterprise library semantic logging service on computer '.' "

But apart from this issue I think installation of semantic logging service has been done successfully.

How can I resolve this? Kindly help me.

Nov 21, 2014 at 6:35 PM
The -s option is trying to start the OOP service. It's hard to say from that error message. Can you check the EventLog to see if there are any additional messages.

One thought is to ensure that the user the service is configured to run as has the appropriate permissions. For example, if the service account does not have the proper permissions I would expect the service to not start and something similar to the following to appear in the EventLog:
System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Only users with administrative privileges, users in the Performance Log Users group, and services running as LocalSystem, LocalService, NetworkService can control event tracing sessions. To grant a restricted user the ability to control trace sessions, add them to the Performance Log Users group.
If that is the case then add the user to the "Performance Log Users" group.

Randy Levy
Enterprise Library support engineer
Support How-to