Enterprise Library Logging - Specific Requirement

Topics: Logging Application Block
Sep 3, 2014 at 10:34 AM
I have just started investigating the Enterprise Library Logging Block to be used to replace a custom written logger and have the a specific requirement on the logging that dictates that they must be split into hourly logs in a daily subfolder (e.g. C:\Temp\logs\20140902\TraceLog13.log).

Can someone confirm if this is possible with the Rolling Flat File Trace Listener or would I need to continue with my custom solution?
Sep 4, 2014 at 2:53 AM
Edited Sep 4, 2014 at 2:55 AM
The Rolling Flat File Trace Listener does support a RollInterval of Hour. However, it doesn't support writing to a daily sub-folder.

One way to achieve what you want would be to create a custom trace listener to implement the daily sub-folder functionality. This should be a small change from the existing implementation. You could base the custom trace listener on the existing source code or use the Rolling XML Trace Listener Sample & (Rolling) Flat File Trace Listeners on the Enterprise Library V6 Sample Projects Page (which is itself based on the existing source).

For a more structured approach to logging you might also want to consider using the Semantic Logging Application Block instead of the Logging Application Block.

~~
Randy Levy
entlib.support@live.com
Enterprise Library support engineer
Support How-to