Error being thrown when using Exception Handling

Topics: Enterprise Library Core, Exception Handling Application Block
Apr 1, 2014 at 1:08 PM
Hi, i'm getting the following error:

The current build operation (build key Build Key[Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling.ExceptionPolicyImpl, Business Logic Layer]) failed: The type 'Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling.Logging.LoggingExceptionHandler, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling.Logging, Version=4.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' cannot be resolved. Please verify the spelling is correct or that the full type name is provided.

When catching and rethrowing an error like this:

catch (Exception exp)
        {
            bool rethrow = ExceptionPolicy.HandleException(exp, "Business Logic Layer");
            if (rethrow)
            {
                throw;
            }
        }
The name "Business Logic Layer" is a defined in the web.config exceptionHandling section.
I've added all the Enterprise Library references to my project, i'm using version 4.1.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Andy
Apr 1, 2014 at 1:21 PM
Probably the Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.ExceptionHandling.Logging.dll is not being copied to the output folder because it is only referenced via the config file.

You could copy the assembly manually, or setup a post build command to copy the assembly to the output folder. Another alternative is to reference the assembly somewhere in your code (e.g. Type t = typeof(LoggingExceptionHandler);) so that visual studio will see dependency.

~~
Randy Levy
entlib.support@live.com
Enterprise Library support engineer
Support How-to
Apr 3, 2014 at 8:47 AM
I tried removing and re-referencing dll's to my different projects, couldn't get it to work.

So I opted to upgrade from Enterprise Library 4 to Enterprise Library 6 and it now works fine.

Thanks.
Marked as answer by andyedwards12 on 4/3/2014 at 12:47 AM