Is C# required in order to use Enterprise Library?

Topics: Data Access Application Block, Enterprise Library Core, General discussion
Mar 31, 2009 at 3:16 PM

I'm new to and was interested in using the DAAB with a new project that we are starting.  I have Visual Studio 2008 Standard Edition SP1 installed, but only with VB installed.  I didn't install C# when I installed Visual Studio.  I downloaded and installed Enterprise Library 4.1, but when I try to open the data access QuickStart (DataAccessQuickStart.sln) in the VB folder, I get this error:

'C:\EntLib41Src\Blocks\Data\Src\Data\Data.csproj' cannot be opened because its project type (.csproj) is not supported by this version of the application.  To open it, please use a version that supports this type of project.

There are QuickStart folders for both C# and VB, so I'm not sure why I am getting this error when trying to open a VB QuickStart.

The System Requirements listed on Microsoft's Enterprise Library page don't say anything about needing to have C# installed.  Am I missing something?  Is there a VB version of Enterprise Library that I should be downloading?  I noticed in older versions there used to be VB code (e.g. sqlhelper.vb) but now it seems to have been replaced with all C# code.

Apr 1, 2009 at 9:14 AM
Yes, C# is not required.  However, the entlib sourcecode is built on C# and the quickstarts uses those projects and not the generated assemblies.

Sarah Urmeneta
Global Technology & Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
Apr 1, 2009 at 1:53 PM
Is there any way I can change the QuickStarts so they use the compiled assemblies rather than the C# code?  It seems kind of silly to have VB QuickStarts that require that you have C# installed.
Apr 2, 2009 at 5:43 AM
Yes. You would have to replace the project reference by the assembly reference to the ent lib binaries. Now, you would also update the config file.

Valiant Dudan
Global Technology & Solutions
Avanade, Inc.