PIAB's Logging Handler (with Binary Formatter trace listeners)

Topics: General discussion, Logging Application Block, Policy Injection Application Block
Mar 9, 2009 at 3:54 PM
Edited Mar 9, 2009 at 11:30 PM

I configured my application to have ‘Logging Application Block’ and ‘Policy Injection Application Block’.  Both LAB and PIAB’s Logging Handler bound to the same MSMQ Trace Listener with Binary Formatter.

When I run the program, which invoke the PIAB’s Logging Handler and writes something to log, MSMQ message from the PIAB’s Logging Handler is not created.

It seems to me that PIAB’s logging using Logging Handler does not occur when the formatter is binary…?  Anyone encounter similar issue?

Thanks and Regards,

Mar 10, 2009 at 1:38 AM

Hi Avanade Support,

I hope i can hear from you soon regarding this....

Thank you,

Mar 10, 2009 at 8:53 AM

I tried a repro on your scenario and its working fine on my end.

First, I configured a Logging application block with msmq trace listener (with binay formatter). I have the "General" category of the LAB referencing that trace listener.
Second, I configured the PIAB, I have a Method Signature Matching Rule and a Logging handler that references the "General" category of the LAB thru its "Categories" property.

I tried Logging by invoking the LAB and work as expected. Also I tried invoking only the PIAB and worked as expected. And lastly, tried invoking both and worked as expected.

One thing that you can look at is to verify that the "QueuePath" that you provided in the trace listener exists. Also if you're interested with the sample solution that i've created, just send us you email address and I'll send you one.

Valiant Dudan
Global Technology and Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
Mar 12, 2009 at 2:14 AM

Hi Valiant,

Thank you for your help. Yesterday i reconfigure the configuration file and its working fine now...