Custom Oracle Trace Listener not appearing in Config Tool

Topics: Data Access Application Block, Logging Application Block
Jan 9, 2014 at 7:55 PM
Edited Jan 9, 2014 at 7:57 PM
Hello again!

First of all, thanks for your help with my previous issue Randy. I now have my entries writing to the database successfully, and we are making great progress!

I have been manually writing the config files, but today I decided to try and use the config tool. Unfortunately, I'm unable to configure my Custom Oracle Trace Listener within the tool. I'm getting the following error after right-clicking the app.config and opening the editor in VS2012:

"Invalid TraceListenerData type in configuration 'listenerDataType="..."

I saw this on the site, and it says I would need to copy the assembly to the editor's local path, but even after doing that, I'm unable to find the custom trace listener in the tool.

Here is my code from the app.config, let me know if you need any more information in order to get this to work.
<add name="Custom Oracle Trace Listener" type="NYCB.Mortgage.Shared.Logging.TraceListeners.FormattedOracleTraceListener, NYCB.Mortgage.Shared" 
           listenerDataType="NYCB.Mortgage.Shared.Logging.TraceListeners.FormattedOracleTraceListenerData, NYCB.Mortgage.Shared" 
           databaseInstanceName="GemstoneDBConnectionDev" writeLogStoredProcName="WriteProc"
           addCategoryStoredProcName="AddProc" formatter="Text Formatter" traceOutputOptions="None" filter="All"/>
Jan 10, 2014 at 7:37 AM
Edited Jan 10, 2014 at 7:39 AM
Just to be sure we are on the same page you are right-clicking the config file in VS2012 and clicking "Edit configuration file v6".

If that is the case what you need to do is build the NYCB.Mortgage.Shared assembly (assume it's in the C:\MyAssemblies directory). Then, in Visual Studio with the solution you are trying to use the configuration tool in open, click on the solution in solution explorer and hit F4 to bring up the solution properties. Next in the Enterprise Library v6 binaries paths append your path. For example:
Now when you open the configuration tool it should be able to locate your types.

Randy Levy
Enterprise Library support engineer
Support How-to
Marked as answer by mseifert on 1/10/2014 at 5:33 AM
Jan 10, 2014 at 12:33 PM
Thanks again Randy. This worked perfectly.