Logging configuration filtering

Topics: Logging Application Block
Feb 19, 2009 at 10:33 PM
What I want to achieve: writing verbose+ messages to the database and only warning+ to the eventlog.
What I am experiencing: all verbose+ messages are being written to both the database and the eventlog.

I have set the category to All, the filter on the database to Verbose and the filter on the eventlog to Warning.  Any ideas?

I have set up configuration as: 
<configuration>
  <configSections>
    <section name="loggingConfiguration" type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.Configuration.LoggingSettings, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" />
    <section name="dataConfiguration" type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Data.Configuration.DatabaseSettings, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Data, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" />
  </configSections>
  <loggingConfiguration name="Logging Application Block" tracingEnabled="true"
    defaultCategory="General" logWarningsWhenNoCategoriesMatch="true">
    <listeners>
      <add databaseInstanceName="Connection String" writeLogStoredProcName="WriteLog"
        addCategoryStoredProcName="AddCategory" formatter="" listenerDataType="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.Database.Configuration.FormattedDatabaseTraceListenerData, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.Database, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"
        traceOutputOptions="None" filter="Verbose" type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.Database.FormattedDatabaseTraceListener, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.Database, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"
        name="Database Trace Listener" />
      <add source="Enterprise Library Logging" formatter="Text Formatter"
        log="Application" machineName="" listenerDataType="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.Configuration.FormattedEventLogTraceListenerData, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"
        traceOutputOptions="None" filter="Warning" type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.TraceListeners.FormattedEventLogTraceListener, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"
        name="Formatted EventLog TraceListener" />
    </listeners>
    <formatters>
      <add template="Timestamp: {timestamp}&#xD;&#xA;Message: {message}&#xD;&#xA;Category: {category}&#xD;&#xA;Priority: {priority}&#xD;&#xA;EventId: {eventid}&#xD;&#xA;Severity: {severity}&#xD;&#xA;Title:{title}&#xD;&#xA;Machine: {machine}&#xD;&#xA;Application Domain: {appDomain}&#xD;&#xA;Process Id: {processId}&#xD;&#xA;Process Name: {processName}&#xD;&#xA;Win32 Thread Id: {win32ThreadId}&#xD;&#xA;Thread Name: {threadName}&#xD;&#xA;Extended Properties: {dictionary({key} - {value}&#xD;&#xA;)}"
        type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.Formatters.TextFormatter, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"
        name="Text Formatter" />
    </formatters>
    <categorySources>
      <add switchValue="All" name="General">
        <listeners>
          <add name="Formatted EventLog TraceListener" />
          <add name="Database Trace Listener" />
        </listeners>
      </add>
    </categorySources>
    <specialSources>
      <allEvents switchValue="All" name="All Events" />
      <notProcessed switchValue="All" name="Unprocessed Category" />
      <errors switchValue="All" name="Logging Errors &amp; Warnings">
        <listeners>
          <add name="Formatted EventLog TraceListener" />
        </listeners>
      </errors>
    </specialSources>
  </loggingConfiguration>
  <dataConfiguration defaultDatabase="Connection String" />
  <connectionStrings>
    <add name="Connection String" connectionString="Database=Database;Server=(local)\SQLEXPRESS;Integrated Security=SSPI"
      providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
  </connectionStrings>
</configuration>
Feb 20, 2009 at 2:10 AM
Tried your config and it works fine, only the warning message got logged to the event viewer.  Can you post your logging code?

Sarah Urmeneta
Global Technology & Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@avanade.com

Feb 22, 2009 at 11:16 PM
Hello Sarah, Are you using the entlib 4.0 (pre-built or src)? 

The filter on the eventlog seems to be ignored.  The filter on the database listener does work.  I am using the built assembly as part of the entlib 4.0 deployment package.

example of code:

Random r = new Random();
string message = string.Format("TestWarning Message {0}", r.Next());
string title = string.Format("TestWarning Title {0}", r.Next());

LogEntry entry = new LogEntry();
entry.Message = message;
entry.Categories.Add("General");
entry.Title = title;
entry.EventId = 909;
entry.Severity = System.Diagnostics.TraceEventType.Warning;

Logger.Write(entry);

Feb 23, 2009 at 3:53 AM
Looks like it is a bug: http://www.codeplex.com/entlib/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=30645
Feb 23, 2009 at 4:03 AM
Ah, I see.  Sorry, I was using the 4.1 version.  Anyway, hope the  workaround in the thread link you posted works for  you.

Sarah Urmeneta
Global Technology & Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@avanade.com