Enterprise Library 6.0 on 32-bit XP

Topics: Enterprise Library Core, General discussion
Nov 13, 2013 at 3:00 PM
I have an application that I built using EL6, and deployed using the free version of InstallShield in VS2012. I t works fine in the Win7 VMs I used for testing, but when I try to run the exe after installing in a 32-bit XP VM, I get the message that the executable is not in a valid format. Is this expected? I noticed that XP is not listed as a supported OS for EL6.
Nov 14, 2013 at 12:59 AM
In a word: yes. .NET 4.5 is not supported on Windows XP (Windows Vista SP2 is the oldest OS supported). I'm assuming that your application targets .NET 4.5?

If you really need to support XP SP3 you will need to target .NET 4.0 and use Enterprise Library 5. Most Enterprise Library 6 features will be available in version 5 so I would guess it wouldn't cause too much trouble (unless you are using something new like Semantic Logging Application Block).

Randy Levy
Enterprise Library support engineer
Support How-to
Marked as answer by macginitie on 11/14/2013 at 7:37 AM
Nov 14, 2013 at 2:50 PM
Thanks, Randy, I appreciate the prompt response. My app doesn't require any 4.5 features, except for its use of EL6. I'm not using the Semantic Logging yet, either. Developers like to use the latest technology, unfortunately we often have customers who are stuck with last year's (or last decade's) model, so to speak... so, back to EL5, for now. Obviously I should have checked this out first, but switching from EL5 to EL6 was pretty easy (at least for the relatively simple app in question), I'm hoping the reverse will be true as well.