Caching Application Block (CAB) and WPF

Topics: Caching Application Block , Data Access Application Block, General discussion
Jan 30, 2009 at 10:30 PM
Edited Jan 30, 2009 at 10:33 PM
I have just a few questions concerning the CAB and WPF..

(a) How does the Enterprise Library ( 4.1 – October 2008) Caching Application Block (CAB) jive with WPF?
I'd like you to use the CAB with both XBAP (full-trust) and window standalone WPF applications, and
WPF is not mentioned as a listed client application type for the CAB at the MSDN documentation of CAB (see here)

I am not sure i can make assumption about the pc's using my xbap app, so the CAB's
backing store will  probably be isolated storage.
But is my assumption here wrong? 
(b) It could be the XBAP itself (since it is full-trust) can download a database caching store from the site-of-origin and then programatically do any instalation and setups on the users pc?  
If yes, how?

(c) if the answer to (b) is yes, the CAB would also need (according to the documentation that i've seen) the Data Access Application Block ... thus increasing the footprint... but by how much?
What's the CAB footprint?

Feb 2, 2009 at 10:19 AM
Edited Feb 2, 2009 at 10:36 AM
(a)Honestly, I'm not sure how compatible CAB is with WPF but I don't think those not mentioned in the documentation are incompatible. Anyway, I've seen some posts(not here in codeplex) trying out the same thing.   
(b)If you're asking if there's any feature in entlib which can configure the setup of an environment for the storage to use with CAB, no, there's no support for that.
(c)You would need the DAAB for CAB if you're using a database as storage. 

Sarah Urmeneta
Global Technology & Solutions
Avanade, Inc.