4.1 InstallInstrumentation problem

Topics: Enterprise Library Core
Jan 29, 2009 at 2:55 AM
When attempting to run InstallInstrumentation for version 4.1 we receive the following error and it stops. Occurs on both Vista and XP installations, both with .NET 3.5 SP1 installed.

Any help is appreciated.
Glenn.

Installing assembly 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Enterprise Library 4.1 - October 2008\Bin\Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Common.dll'.
Affected parameters are:
   logtoconsole =
   assemblypath = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Enterprise Library 4.1 - October 2008\Bin\Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Common.dll
   logfile = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Enterprise Library 4.1 - October 2008\Bin\Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Common.InstallLog
Installing WMI Schema: Started
Installing WMI Schema: Finished
Creating EventLog source Enterprise Library Manageability Extensions in log Application...
Creating EventLog source Enterprise Library Configuration in log Application...
**** WMI schema install start ****
**** WMI schema install end ****
Installing WMI Schema: Started
Installing WMI Schema: Finished
Creating EventLog source Enterprise Library Manageability Extensions in log Application...
Creating EventLog source Enterprise Library Configuration in log Application...
**** WMI schema install end ****
Committing assembly 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Enterprise Library 4.1 - October 2008\Bin\Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Common.dll'.
Affected parameters are:
   logtoconsole =
   assemblypath = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Enterprise Library 4.1 - October 2008\Bin\Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Common.dll
   logfile = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Enterprise Library 4.1 - October 2008\Bin\Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Common.InstallLog
Microsoft (R) 32-bit MOF Compiler Version 5.1.2600.5512
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp. 1997-2001. All rights reserved.
Parsing MOF file: C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Common_v2.0.50727.mof
MOF file has been successfully parsed
Storing data in the repository...
An error occurred while processing item 9 defined on lines 67 - 72 in file C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Common_v2.0.50727.mof:
Error Number: 0x80041025, Facility: WMI
Description: Class has children

Compiler returned error 0x80041001

An exception occurred during the Commit phase of the System.Management.Instrumentation.WMIManagementInstaller installer.
System.Management.Instrumentation.WmiProviderInstallationException: mofcomp.exe failed
An exception occurred during the Commit phase of the installation. This exception will be ignored and installation will continue. However, the application might not function correctly after installation is complete.
Microsoft (R) 32-bit MOF Compiler Version 5.1.2600.5512
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp. 1997-2001. All rights reserved.
Parsing MOF file: C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Common_v2.0.50727.mof
MOF file has been successfully parsed
Storing data in the repository...
An error occurred while processing item 9 defined on lines 67 - 72 in file C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Common_v2.0.50727.mof:
Error Number: 0x80041025, Facility: WMI
Description: Class has children

Compiler returned error 0x80041001

An exception occurred during the Commit phase of the System.Management.Instrumentation.WMIManagementInstaller installer.
System.Management.Instrumentation.WmiProviderInstallationException: mofcomp.exe failed
An exception occurred during the Commit phase of the installation. This exception will be ignored and installation will continue. However, the application might not function correctly after installation is complete.

Jan 29, 2009 at 9:55 AM
I tried looking up the error message, but it's being encountered in different situations and I can't find anything specific to EntLib.  It might be an environment setting which causes this problem.  Did you try to see if there's an entry in the event log?

Sarah Urmeneta
Global Technology & Solutions
Avanade, Inc
entlib.support@avanade.com
Jan 29, 2009 at 10:41 PM
Hello Sarah,

There is nothing in the event log. This has now occured on almost all of our development team workstations. Only mine is clean so far.

It appears that the uninstall of 4.0 has not completely removed everything. Is there a way to cleanly uninstall 4.0 if the uninstall doesn't work correctly. All of the machines with problems have 4.0 start menu items left over and registry settings.

Glenn.
Jan 30, 2009 at 7:27 AM
Hi,

I was able to repro your error. I'm using a Windows server 2003 R2, I have a Ent Lib 4.1 and Ent Lib 3.0 installed. I unistalled the Instrumentation of 4.1 and installed the Instrumentation of 3.0, (success), then i uninstalled the instrumentation of the 3.0 and intalled the 4.1, then I got your error. After lots of searching for an answer, i found this page: http://www.microforge.net/kb/102 , I tried the Steps in Resetting the WMI.

c:
cd %windir%\system32\wbem\
net stop winmgmt
rmdir /s /q repository
rmdir /s /q Logs
mkdir Logs
net start winmgmt

Then I install again the Ent Lib 4.1 Instrumentation and its successful.

Valiant Dudan
Global Technology and Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@avanade.com
Jan 30, 2009 at 10:09 PM

Thanks Valiant.

We will try it out. I believe that the workstations that this failed on did also have 3.0 installed.

Glenn. 

Feb 17, 2009 at 12:29 AM
We found the following sequence that worked and didn't rely on a reset of the WBEM repository. A few steps may not be needed but it worked for us:

1. Uninstall 4.0 instrumentation
2. Uninstall 4.0 package (which doesn't work completly)
3. Uninstall 3.1 instrumentation (complains a bit)
4. Unistall 3.1 package
5. Re-install 4.0 package (for some reason the previous uninstall doesn't work and reinstalling makes it work the second time)
6. Unistall 4.0 again
7. Install 4.1
8. Install 4.1 instrumentation

Glenn.
Oct 1, 2009 at 9:47 PM

I see the same problem on my XP machine. Following the procedure from support I still see the Enterprise node in the WMI tree afterwards, although I deleted all Entlib related *.mof files. What to do? Rerunning the installservices.bat results in the same error.

Oct 1, 2009 at 11:34 PM

Hello thomykay,

We ended up having this problem on most of our development workstations, a few test servers and a production box. We were able to follow the sequence above for most of them to fix the problem but the production server had to be re-built from scratch. Our client wasn't particularly happy about that one.

If you haven't tried resetting the WMI repository you might want to try (as described above), but for us it reset back to the O/S defaults and we had to re-install applications that had registered their own WMI packages. Unfortunately, the next step would be to rebuild your machine remembering never to install EntLib 3.1...

I'm hoping the upgrade from 4.0 to 5.0 is a little smoother.

Glenn.