Query SLAB Traces table

Topics: Semantic Logging Application Block
Aug 12, 2013 at 7:00 PM
Edited Aug 12, 2013 at 7:01 PM
I'm looking at SLAB and specifically the SQL DB Sink. I see that the payload is being serialized as JSON, which is understandable in that it is pretty fast to do that, but it seems to me that now you've made it harder to query the data in SQL Server. Unless I'm missing something there is no easy way to query for an event now that meets a specific set of criteria within the payload without resorting to string searches or creating a completely different tool to then go over the data.

I understand that the power of SLAB is more reaction to message as they occuring and, ideally, prior to being written to a DB sink like this, but for general researching issues that have occured in the past have the payload stored as JSON seems an interesting choice given the destination of the SQL Server which out of the box doesn't have support for querying this. If the payload was recorded in XML the built in XML query engine could be of some use.

One could create their own database sink and serialize the payload as XML rather than JSON, but I'm more interested in the answers of why the JSON route was taken when the tooling to query it is lacking given the destination of the sink.
Feb 28, 2015 at 10:07 PM
Any news on this? How do you guys query the payload?
Jul 29, 2015 at 6:54 PM
Never mind, I've forked the github repo and added support for xml payload in the sql database sink. See https://github.com/DeHeerSoftware/semantic-logging
Jul 29, 2015 at 8:23 PM
Nice! Any chance of getting this added to the official repo?
Jul 30, 2015 at 7:08 AM
tmmueller wrote:
Nice! Any chance of getting this added to the official repo?
I will issue a pull request somewhere in the next few days. Then it is up to them to decide whether the accept it or not.
Aug 11, 2015 at 7:38 AM
The pull request is issued, but I decided to create a seperate nuget package because I had to made some other changes as well. See https://www.nuget.org/packages/SemanticLogging.Database.Xml/ for the package.
Aug 11, 2015 at 2:54 PM
Awesome, thanks for publishing this.