SLAB out of proc to azure table storage

Topics: Semantic Logging Application Block
May 8, 2013 at 9:48 PM
Edited May 10, 2013 at 9:43 AM
Hi everyone, I try to use Azure Table storage as a sink with the new semantic logging. In proc this is working fine, out of proc it doesn't. This is my configuration: {code:xml} <configuration xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/practices/2013/entlib/semanticlogging/etw" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="http://schemas.microsoft.com/practices/2013/entlib/semanticlogging/etw SemanticLogging-svc.xsd"> <!-- Optional settings for fine tuning performance and Trace Event Session identification--> <traceEventService/> <!-- Sinks reference definitons used by this host to listen ETW events --> <sinks> <windowsAzureTableSink name="Windows Azure Storage" instanceName="SLAB" connectionString="UseDevelopmentStorage=true"> <sources> <eventSource name="MyCompany" level="Error"/> </sources> </windowsAzureTableSink> <consoleSink name="ConsoleEventSink"> <sources> <eventSource name="MyCompany" level="Error"/> </sources> <eventTextFormatter header="+=========================================+"/> </consoleSink> <rollingFlatFileSink name="RollingFlatFileSink" fileName="RollingFlatFile.log" timeStampPattern="yyyy" rollFileExistsBehavior="Overwrite" rollInterval="Day"> <sources> <eventSource name="MyCompany" level="Error"/> </sources> </rollingFlatFileSink> </sinks> </configuration> Both console and file sinks are working. What am I doing wrong?
May 8, 2013 at 9:55 PM
And what am I doing wrong with {code:xml}?
May 9, 2013 at 1:10 AM
Hi,

The xml config is fine. A couple of things to note:
  • Make sure that the Storage Emulator is started since you are using it according to the configured connection string value.
  • The default values for buffering count (1000) and interval (30 secs) are also used so if you check the default table name "SLABLogsTable" will reflect the captured data according to this settings.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Hernan
May 9, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Hi Hernan,

thanks for your reply. I didn't know the default table name that's being used is SLABLogsTable. I thought I was telling it to use SLAB as table name. In Visual Studio I didn't see SLABLogsTable popping up even though I had hit the refresh button several times. I was looking in the table SLAB for my data. After a reboot of Visual Studio a table with the name SLABLogsTable appeared.

Regards,
Erwin
May 10, 2013 at 9:39 AM
Does anyone know how to use a custom table name instead of "SLABLogsTable"? I've been playing around with the connection string but can't get it to work...

I've tried:
  • connectionString="UseDevelopmentStorage=true;Database=Logging;">
  • connectionString="UseDevelopmentStorage=true;Initial Catalog=Logging;">
  • connectionString="UseDevelopmentStorage=true;Catalog=Logging;">
  • connectionString="UseDevelopmentStorage=true;TableEndpoint=Logging;">
but they all give errors.
May 10, 2013 at 9:42 AM
Edited May 10, 2013 at 9:43 AM
Never mind. Looking at the .xsd I saw that it had to be: tableAddress="SLAB". So my working configuration:

{code:xml}

<windowsAzureTableSink name="Windows Azure Storage"
    instanceName="Company"
    connectionString="UseDevelopmentStorage=true;"
    tableAddress="SLAB">
    <sources>
        <eventSource name="MyCompany" level="Error"/>
    </sources>
</windowsAzureTableSink>