rolling xml trace listener?

Topics: Logging Application Block
Jan 30, 2007 at 11:22 AM
I think a rolling xml trace listener could be a greate new feature in enterprise library 3.0

In january ctp, the rolling flat file trace listener you can´t choose the directory output like others trace listener, why?

Other nice feature will be that you could choose the name of the trace listener with the value of a variable or appsetting.

Jan 30, 2007 at 12:41 PM
The Rolling Flat File TraceListener still has a few bugs and is not complete in the January 2007 drop. I suspect it will be feature complete in the next drop.

All the TraceListeners use a Formatter that determines the output of the log messages. I haven't tried it, but my guess is that you could change the Text Formatter template to output in an XML format. Right now the Rolling Flat File TraceListener doesn't have a Formatter Option, but it will have one as soon as it is completed.

You also have the option of creating your own TraceListeners. The Application Block Software Factory in EntLib 3.0 is a real timesaver in doing so. It has a specific option for creating a new TraceListener.

David Hayden
Microsoft MVP C#