Custom Database Trace Listener Sample - Can't add to configuration tool

Topics: Exception Handling Application Block, General discussion, Logging Application Block
Nov 30, 2012 at 12:15 AM

I have downloaded sample project here

with the purpose of using to add custom data /columns while logging exceptions to the database.

I downloaded the sample "CustomDatabaseTraceListener" and built the project and signed with key.

I was thinking that I could just drop this in the same directory as EntLibConfig.exe and add via the gui interface.  Within this tool, I am trying to add 'Add Custom Trace Listener' by browsing 'Add from File' to get the type name but nothing shows up.  In addition, 'Loaded Assemblies' is empty on this form.

How do I add this custom database trace listener to the config tool?  I am using Ent Lib 5 with the option pack getting me to the 5.0.505.0 version of the ent lib assemblies.

Any idea on how to add this custom listener to the config tool?

Nov 30, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Yes, you can just put the assembly in the EntLibConfig.exe directory.  

The Custom Database Trace Listener example actually supports full integration with the configuration tool.  This means that you don't have to select Add Custom Trace Listener and select an assembly; instead the trace listener appears directly in the menu list of trace listeners.  You should see it as the first entry in the list of trace listeners with the text "Add Custom Database Trace Listener".

Randy Levy
Enterprise Library support engineer 

Nov 30, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Thank you

I believe my problem was the references in the sample code were incorrect.  Once I removed the existing references and re-added I was able to see the custom database trace listener in the configuration tool.