Enterprise Library 5.0 - No Authenticatation Block?

Topics: Security Application Block
Nov 9, 2012 at 7:03 PM

I am upgrading an existing framework to Enterprise Library 5.0 from (3.1) and have a whole Authentication project which includes DBAuthentication, LDAPAuthentication, etc.  But, I don't see any Authentication block in Enterprise Library 5.0.

I'm not sure how to proceed in upgrading my custom Authentication providers.  Is Authentication no longer needed because it's now built in to Windows or the .Net platform or what?

In doing this upgrade to Enterprise Library 5.0 I have found it extremely difficult but I've looked at how Enterprise Library used to do it and how it does it now in the source code to figure things out. 

I have to wonder if I should change the authentication classes in the same way as the authorization classes are updated between the old and new versions of Enterprise Library or if I should scrap the authentication modules completely or what?

Microsoft should have really had an in depth upgrade manual that shows what you should change to what with examples.  The migration document doesn't cut it at all!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Nov 11, 2012 at 5:29 AM

I'm not sure exactly what you have implemented but I believe that Authentication support was present in Enterprise Library 1 (June 2005) but removed in Enterprise Library 2 (January 2006).  From Introduction to the Security Application Block:

The Security Application Block � January 2006 supports user authorization and security-related caching. The functionality that was in earlier releases of the application block that supported authenticating a user and setting and retrieving role and profile information are no longer a part of the application block. Instead, use the .NET Framework 2.0 to implement these features.

So, the answer is to use .NET Framework classes to implement authentication.

Randy Levy
Enterprise Library support engineer