using PDB files

Nov 14, 2008 at 9:50 PM
I want to use the pdb files available on the website to step into enterprise library code. is that possible?

The reason is that the chaching call handler is caching something it's not supposed to and I want see what cachekey it's using.

Thanks
Nov 17, 2008 at 9:59 AM
It is possible, but you still need to make sure you have installed the source code in order to point the debugger to the the location of the class you will be debugging.

Sarah Urmeneta
Global Technology & Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@avanade.com
Nov 17, 2008 at 1:29 PM
Do you know the steps to do that? I coudn't figure it out.
Nov 17, 2008 at 1:51 PM
Yup, it also took me a while to figure that out.  But it's pretty simple. 

1. Copy the .pdb file where the class you wish to debug belongs to the bin/Debug folder of your project.  
2. Open your project and in the Tools menu in VisualStudio, select Options. 
3. Go to the Debugging -> Symbols node. 
4. Click the folder icon and specify the path where you placed the .pdb file in the Symbol file (.pdb) locations listbox.
5. Click Ok.
6. Place a breakpoint in your app and then run it.
7. Press F11 upon hitting the breakpoint. 
8. You will then be prompted for the location of the class you wish to debug. You can easily locate that since you can see its original location in the dialog box. 

That's it.  

Sarah Urmeneta
Global Technology & Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@avanade.com
Nov 18, 2008 at 1:08 PM
Hi,

Make sure you have the latest version of the PDB files zip; it was updated last week for the 4.1 release. Also, keep in mind that if at some point you cancel when prompted for the location of the source code file you won't be prompted again for that particular file; if that happens you need to remove relevant entries in the "Do not look for these source files" in the "Debug Source Files" page on the solution properties dialog box (where you can also configure the root source code folder to avoid being prompted.)

Regards,
Fernando
Nov 18, 2008 at 8:24 PM
Thank you guys.