It would be a good practice to use the Data Access Block with ReportViewer 2010?

Topics: Data Access Application Block
Aug 6, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Hi.

I would like an opinion on the use of the Data Access Block to create a data access layer to filter reports using the ReportViewer 2010, I'm thinking this is possible to take advantage of features like the Accessor, stored procedures and other resources.

I would create a data access layer in my application to filter my reports using parameters.

Any User of this list here has done this before, and some have an example or show me a way to go?

Thank you.

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:45 PM

The Data Access Application Block can definitely help in creating a standardized data access layer.  I would recommend reading Chapter 2 - Much ADO about Data Access from the Developer's Guide.  Also useful is Developing Applications Using the Data Access Application Block.  

If you have specific requirements that you need to address a good idea would be to do a small proof of concept to see how it fares.  If you have the time you could compare to other potential data access technologies such as ORMs (e.g. Entity Framework), ADO.NET, or perhaps LINQ to SQL.

--
Randy Levy
Enterprise Library support engineer
entlib.support@live.com