entlib5.0 with .NET 4.0

Topics: Exception Handling Application Block, Logging Application Block
Jul 23, 2012 at 7:15 PM

I am using Enterprise Library 5.0. The application crashes and it is looking for some

Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.resources.DLL.

Looks like a compatibility issue between Enterprise 5.0 and .NET 4.0.

Any suggestions?

Jul 23, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Can you be more specific?  E.g.:

• What specific exception are you getting? 
  • What does your code look like?
  • What is your configuration?
  • What assemblies are you deploying?
  • What type of project are you developing (e.g. Silverlight, WCF, ASP.NET, etc.)?

Enterprise Library 5.0 supports .NET Framework versions 4.0 and 3.5 SP1.

--
Randy Levy
Enterprise Library support engineer
entlib.support@live.com 

Jul 24, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Specific Exception:

Application crashes. - No Exception.

Code:Logger.Write(LogEntry object) being passed inside.

Configuration:  windows 8

Assemblies: Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging.DLL, Microsoft.Practices.ServiceLocation.dll, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Unity.dll

project: C# .NET Windows forms

Aug 2, 2012 at 5:05 AM

Are you running on Windows 8?  Enterprise Library has not been tested with Windows 8 so there definitely could be issues.  

--
Randy Levy
entlib.support@live.com 

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I've the same problem as stated above when using EntLib on Windows 8. Is there anything I can do to work around this problem? I already tried to hook into the AssemblyResolve event but without the actual .dll to load that's not very helpful.

I assume this problem will also occur on Windows Server 2012 based systems? (I didn't have the time yet to test the behavior there...)

Jan 11, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Can you elaborate on the exact scenario to reproduce the issue?   e.g. what is the system locale?  Perhaps create a small application that reproduces the problem.

I ran a Windows Forms app targeting .NET Framework 4 Client Profile that wrote to flat file trace listener and it runs fine on Windows 8.

--
Randy Levy
entlib.support@live.com