ENTLIB 5.0 Logging Application Block Formatters

Topics: Logging Application Block
Jul 11, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Hi there,

In Logging Application Block there are right now three formatters i.e.

1) Text

2) Binary

3)  Custom

Now,  today I was browsing the source code  of Enterprise Library and found something called XmlFormatter.cs

Then, I wondered why this option is not coming in the Configuration Manager tool? Then I found the answer that: the XmlFormatter is missing the ConfigurationElementType  Attribute. When I applied this attribute, It start visible in the GUI tool. And I logged a message using this formatter and it works like awesome!

Now my question is, is this something intentional  that enterprise  library didn't provided XmlFormatter in the available formatters?

Thanks,

Suraj

Jul 12, 2012 at 7:03 AM

For others who might stumble upon this thread also look at http://entlib.codeplex.com/discussions/347333/ which shows how to surface the formatter in the configuration.

In terms of why it's not exposed via configuration I wasn't there but my guess would be that the XmlLogFormatter was developed to be used with the XmlTraceListener and it was probably not considered to be exposed explicitly without the XmlTraceListener.  Or perhaps it was considered but time and effort was directed to other more pressing items.

Feel free to add a suggestion to user voice with a feature request.

--
Randy Levy
Enterprise Library support engineer
entlib.support@live.com