Team Foundation Server?

Topics: General discussion
Jan 12, 2007 at 5:48 PM
Do you use Team Foundation Server (TFS) as the environment for developing the Enterprise Library 3.0?

I've not had a chance to work with Ent Lib 3.0 yet, but trying to work with Ent Lib 2.0 in a TFS environment was so painful as to be virtually impossible. I'm hopeful now that TFS is "out there" (which is wasn't for 2.0 development) that you use that environment... That would ensure that working with the Ent Lib in TFS would be easy and natrual this go around.

Thanks,
Karl
Jan 18, 2007 at 3:01 PM
I take silence to mean "No, we don't use Team Foundation Server at this time."

I'd be delighted if someone spoke up with a different answer.
Jan 19, 2007 at 6:12 PM
Hi Karl -

Sorry for the slow resposne. Yes we do use TFS internally for developing EntLib 3.0, so hopefully this will translate to a much smoother experience for you using TFS with EntLib too.

Tom
Jan 19, 2007 at 6:23 PM
Actually we do use TFS for Enterprise Library 3 development.

If there are any specific problems you had using TFS and Enterprise Library 2 development, it might be worth your while to post them in the forums, so we could look into easing your pain in this next version.

Olaf
Jan 21, 2007 at 5:26 AM
HEADLINE: Just FYI... I'll post further results when I get them.

I think the issue is summarized in this post: http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=395343&SiteID=1
Basically, I was trying to add a project called : MyCompany.Web.Framework.Business.Tests... When I did that I got an error message: TF10121: The path '' is not found or not supported. Type or select a different path.

That lead me to the post at the top... I must confess that I'd not tried to add Ent Lib 2.0 to my TFS install just yet, but I took it on faith (particularly since my shorter namespace and path did not work) that there was an issue with TFS and namespace/file path lengths.

That lead me to wonder, "If others can't get Ent Lib to work in TFS does that mean the Ent Lib team does not use TFS?" I did download the Ent Lib 3.0 CTP and see that the namespaces that I use are basically the same... So I wonder if it has to do more with the path than the namespace.

I plan to pursue this even more this next week... I'll post any results I have back here.