Idea\Concept behind different config tools

Topics: Enterprise Library Core, General discussion
Apr 3, 2012 at 12:51 PM

I am just wondering why there are 4 Configuration Tools in the Entlib package (.NET 35, 40, and x86, 64Bit). What is the motivation behind it? I couldn't find any information. Since the code base is the same and the one exe is patched with corflags.exe I am wondering about the benefit.

When should I use the X64 oder x86 version? What would be different? Would the config files created be different?
In my "simple" world I think using Platoform="Any" and compiling under .NET 3.5 should do the same trick resulting in only one Tool. Or am I wrong?

Could you please help me?

Apr 4, 2012 at 2:08 PM

That's a good question.  In many (most?) cases the configuration files created will be the same but not always.

I can't speak to the original intent but my understanding is that the different versions are mainly used for loading assemblies using the tool.  For example if you are using the .NET 4 version and use the type selector to add a System.Diagnostics.ConsoleTraceListener you will be loading the version (and saving that version information to the config file) but if you were using the .NET 3.5 version you will be loading the version of the assembly.  The behavior is similar for 32 vs. 64 bit: if you are running the 64 bit config tool then in the type selector you will not see assemblies that are explicitly 32 bit.

If you are using the Visual Studio Extension then the specific config tool that is launched is based on the Target Framework and the Platform target of the project.

Randy Levy
Enterprise Library support engineer