Not able to load configuration tool after chaning the tracelistener

Topics: Logging Application Block
Mar 27, 2012 at 4:19 PM

<add name="Database Trace Listener" type="RatabaseLogging.ExtendedFormattedDatabaseTraceListener, RatabaseLogging" listenerDataType="RatabaseLogging.ExtendedFormattedDatabaseTraceListenerData, RatabaseLogging" databaseInstanceName="SQL" writeLogStoredProcName="WriteLog" addCategoryStoredProcName="AddCategory" formatter="Text Formatter"/>

after adding this line of code in my app.config....I am not able to load the configuration tool.  Is there anything wrong in this?

Mar 27, 2012 at 4:35 PM

You don't mention the error that you are getting (I'm assuming you are getting an error).  I'm going to guess that you are getting an error similar to "Invalid TraceListenerData in configuration".

If that is the error it is because the configuration tool cannot load the listenerDataType RatabaseLogging.ExtendedFormattedDatabaseTraceListenerData.

Does the assembly RatabaseLogging have a class ExtendedFormattedDatabaseTraceListenerData?  If it does then the solution is to copy the RatabaseLogging assembly to the same directory that contains the configuration tool (on a 64 bit system the default is C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Enterprise Library 5.0\Bin).

Randy Levy
Enterprise Library support engineer 

Mar 27, 2012 at 6:15 PM

you guys are fantastic...thats what the error and thats what the solution.