Error - Starting the configuration console app

Topics: General discussion
Jan 10, 2007 at 2:40 PM
I am using Ent Lib Jan 2006 on window xp professional and i applied the Patch 2554, I tried to start the configuration console app but i got ToolLoader.exe error, here is the error message "ToolLoader.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." Not helpfull at all. I removed the library completely from laptop and re-installed again twice, but still i am getting the same error. I tried to go back to original set up (w/out the Patch 2554) but i am not getting any luck, Does anyone know how to solve this issue?

Thanks very much.
Jan 10, 2007 at 5:23 PM
I haven't seen this before. However ToolLoader.exe is basically a shim that detects for the existence of EntLibConfig.exe, and if it's not there it triggers compilation of the EntLib source. If you've successfully compiled the code, you can just launch EntLibConfig.exe directly (and you can update your Start Menu shortcut to point to this).

Jan 10, 2007 at 6:13 PM
I build the source code successfully by using (Build Enterprise Library then copy assemblies to bin folder) from the menu and also build the source code from vs 2005. I tried to luanch EntLibConfig.exe from different locations including C:\Program Files\Microsoft Enterprise Library January 2006\bin and C:\Program Files\Microsoft Enterprise Library January 2006\src\Configuration\Console\bin\ for Debug and Release from there, but i am still getting the same error.

Jan 11, 2007 at 8:55 PM
I solved this issue by removing the permission and the code group from my laptop, these were required for the patch (Running Unit Tests Under Partial Trust) then i was able to run the configuration console app w/o error.
Jan 12, 2007 at 1:22 PM

A similar error also occurs when running the Console from within a clean \bin\ directory after:
1) building your own copy (BuildLibrary.cmd)
2) running CopyAssemlbies.cmd (to copy the build ouptut into the \bin\ directory).

This is because the CopyAssemblies.cmd does not copy the new Configuration.Design.UI assembly into the bin directory.

This specific problem should be solved by copying the Configuration.Design.UI-assembly from the build directory into the \bin\ directory manually.

we'll make sure this cmd-file is updated in the januari CTP release.

Hope that helps!