Enterprise Library 3.1 DAAB problem...

Topics: Data Access Application Block, Enterprise Library Core
Jul 8, 2008 at 10:39 AM
Edited Jul 8, 2008 at 11:16 AM
We are using the Data Access Application Block and were getting a strange problem...

Certain users seem to be slow when calling DatabaseFactory.CreateDatabase() (Unfortunatly the users that are slow are the ones were going live with!!!)

Were using the application block in a windows service... If I log in to the service under my username then the code returns the Database object very quickly but when we use the user account that were going live with it can take up to 10 seconds to return... both user account are administrators on the box....

I've referenced the source code and stepping through it seems to take an age to pass through the following code in NameTypeFactoryBase<T> when under certain loggins

public T CreateDefault()
{
     return EnterpriseLibraryFactory.BuildUp<T>(configurationSource);
}

I was wondering if anyone has encountered the same problem or knew what it might be as it has us stumped at the moment...

Thanks if anyone can help...

UPDATE:

When we used the source code for Common and Data it ran instantly under one user account but was slow for another... when I also added the source code for object builder and used that in the references for Data and Common then it ran instantly under all user accounts...

Jul 8, 2008 at 3:08 PM
Edited Jul 8, 2008 at 3:10 PM
Hi,

This could be caused by problems to perform authenticode verifications. This issue is discussed in this thread http://forums.msdn.microsoft.com/en/vbgeneral/thread/d303523f-217c-46f8-b3c2-763864f97b52/ (it's not related to entlib but the conclusions apply); let us know if it works for you.

[Update: thre's a thorough description of the issue available at http://www.ofeks.info/blog/Default.aspx#ae3d760d5-4ed0-4928-a120-9e02dc263db3]

Regards,
Fernando

onesandtwos wrote:
We are using the Data Access Application Block and were getting a strange problem...

Certain users seem to be slow when calling DatabaseFactory.CreateDatabase() (Unfortunatly the users that are slow are the ones were going live with!!!)

Were using the application block in a windows service... If I log in to the service under my username then the code returns the Database object very quickly but when we use the user account that were going live with it can take up to 10 seconds to return... both user account are administrators on the box....

I've referenced the source code and stepping through it seems to take an age to pass through the following code in NameTypeFactoryBase<T> when under certain loggins

public T CreateDefault()
{
     return EnterpriseLibraryFactory.BuildUp<T>(configurationSource);
}

I was wondering if anyone has encountered the same problem or knew what it might be as it has us stumped at the moment...

Thanks if anyone can help...

UPDATE:

When we used the source code for Common and Data it ran instantly under one user account but was slow for another... when I also added the source code for object builder and used that in the references for Data and Common then it ran instantly under all user accounts...

Jul 8, 2008 at 4:34 PM
Wow... Thanks you... would never have gotton that in a million years!!! It seemed so far removed from our original problem....
Jul 8, 2008 at 5:19 PM
It is indeed a curious issue, and I would assume that was your case and you could fix it. If that's true, I hope you don't mind me asking: did your service account have connectivity limitations? How did you choose to solve the issue?

Cheers,
Fernando

onesandtwos wrote:
Wow... Thanks you... would never have gotton that in a million years!!! It seemed so far removed from our original problem....

Jul 9, 2008 at 9:07 AM
It was indeed the issue... We tested it by changing the settings described in that article for Internet Options and it worked... The programs are working as Windows Services so I think the easiest option for us is to allow the servers internet access (They are not in the firewall to allow them access currently)... The Internet Option setting appears to be for the Current User when looking at the registry setting....