Help needed on "backing Store"

Topics: Caching Application Block
Jun 17, 2008 at 7:18 AM
Hi all,
My team is developing a website (ASP.NET 3.5). In my application, No of users at peek time may reach more than 5000. I would like to use caching application block in my website for SCALABILITY. I have set of questions.

1) What are the main differences between inmemoey and isolated/database storages. Is it only in terms of persistence only? I don't want persistence feature. If i use isolated/database storage can my application will more scalabale?
2)  if i use isolated or database storage, how will application block handle? means how much amount of data it will store in MEMORY (RAM)  from persistnce medium? will Application block tore entire data in persisnce meium or only some part, based on avilability of RAM? 
3) My client won't recomend database storage. what are the main restrictions in isolated storage ? Will database storage is more scalable than isolated storage?

I want some samples on ASP.NET application using caching application block with isolated presistence storage. I searched on the net. But unable to find out samples specific to asp.net.

Thanks in advance
--
Rajesh A.
Jun 17, 2008 at 12:57 PM
Hi,

Here are some answers. A cache's backing store is only used to persist the cache contents, and is optional. The cached elements are always held in memory and are written to the backing store in a synchronous manner.

How your application will handle will depend on how your application uses the cache (ie are cache operations mostly reads or writes are frequent? what kind of expiration policies will you use? how many items will you store? will items be large?) There have been reports of the cache failing to scavenge and expire under load.

Fernando

rajeshaz09 wrote:
Hi all,
My team is developing a website (ASP.NET 3.5). In my application, No of users at peek time may reach more than 5000. I would like to use caching application block in my website for SCALABILITY. I have set of questions.

1) What are the main differences between inmemoey and isolated/database storages. Is it only in terms of persistence only? I don't want persistence feature. If i use isolated/database storage can my application will more scalabale?
2)  if i use isolated or database storage, how will application block handle? means how much amount of data it will store in MEMORY (RAM)  from persistnce medium? will Application block tore entire data in persisnce meium or only some part, based on avilability of RAM? 
3) My client won't recomend database storage. what are the main restrictions in isolated storage ? Will database storage is more scalable than isolated storage?

I want some samples on ASP.NET application using caching application block with isolated presistence storage. I searched on the net. But unable to find out samples specific to asp.net.

Thanks in advance
--
Rajesh A.

Jun 17, 2008 at 2:39 PM
Thanks Fernando for your reply.

Coming to my website details, 99% of the chached items should always present in cache. And they will update after certain period of time like 1 hour or 1 day. Almost every page need to access atleast 3-4 cached items. At peek time no of users are 5000 +. At non- peek time 100+. 

I need to store 500 items. Most of the cached items data used for assigning to drop down lists (Name/value pair). Ex: country list. At maximum each cached item can contain 100 values. Means 100 * 500 =50,000 name/value pairs.

Basically my website don't have access to database. Insted i need to call parent website's web services.  I should not touch my parent website. To minimise web service calls, i need this caching application block.

One of the importent requirement is, my web application need to be scalable.