ETW vs Enterprise Library

Topics: Exception Handling Application Block, Logging Application Block
Oct 3, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Hi,

Please help me answering the below questions.

Our application needs to write events to db using ETW. I have the below confusion.

1. Does Enterprise library use ETW sub system for Event logging?

2. Does TraceSource class use ETW sub system and Is ETW dependant on any TraceListener?

Oct 4, 2011 at 3:28 AM

Hi,

Please refer to this thread:

http://entlib.codeplex.com/discussions/247767

Oct 4, 2011 at 4:13 AM

Hi,

Enterprise Library uses the EventLogTraceListener (which is under the System.Diagnostics.EventLog namespace) for event logging. Actually, Entlib doesn't use ETW on any built in tracelisteners. If you need to write logs using ETW, you might resort on creating a custom trace listener but I'm not sure on how feasible it is. You can refer on the link above for more details regarding ETW with Entlib.

Noel Angelo Bolasoc
Avanade Software and Cloud Services
Avanade, Inc.
Contact Us

Oct 10, 2011 at 11:43 AM

I have implemented a custom tracelistener to write events to sql database.But my intention is to use ETW subsystem to improve the performance.

But I came to know from different blogs that to use ETW we need to start,stop the sessions by using logman commandline utility and after .etl file generation send those events to XML using tracerpt .Later reading XML and write to DB (or) directly to DB by using logparser.

Instead of using logman,tracerpt or logparser utilities can we achieve thorugh c# code

(or )

Is there any realtime implementation of using ETW without utility based session start and stop.

If anyone have code to achieve above please share with us?

Mar 4, 2012 at 4:41 AM

Hi prudvikrishna, i'm having now the same questions about the realtime ETW!
Could you find out anything about this?

thanks