EntLib Logging Strategy

Topics: Logging Application Block
May 23, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Hi,
I'am working on a silverlight enterprise project that needs logging mechanism. So, I'm trying to understand all steps in the Logging part of Ent Lib. Here is my question, whats happening when the remote service has down ? I figure that client writes logs to  Isolated storage. But in my tryout, I try to write 500 logs, however, the last 102 of those logs are stored in Isolated storage in order to send logs when client is up next time.

Can I get a short explanation in this flow and how to configure this process will be very helpful ?

Below questions may help to give the flow of logging for exceptional stuations:

What happens when I request log ? (cache log, write it to Isolated storage, read from storage, send to service, clear the storage ?)

What happents when service downs during log sending process ?

Is the first thing that client reads from storage and sends previous logs to service ?

Thanks and best regards,

Şerif

May 24, 2011 at 11:54 AM
Hello $erif,

Since this is more of a design related question, I would think MS Enlib team can provide more info on this. As per documentation you can adjust this thru the Buffer size (specifically IsolatedStorageBufferMaxSizeinKilobytes for isolated storage) parameter of your Remote Service Trace Listener. One thing I'm not sure is that if it has an option to turn this off or if '0' is allowed as value, since it is already mentioned in the documentation that 5kb is the minimum size.

Hope this helps.

Gino Terrado
Global Technologies and Solutions

Avanade, Inc.

entlib.support@avanade.com