Ent Lib 3.1 with .Net Framework 4.0

May 18, 2011 at 9:38 PM

Hi,

We are trying to upgrade our projects to framework 4.0. But the projects use Enterprise Library 3.1. are there any compatibility issues with this?

Thanks,

Umesh

May 19, 2011 at 3:24 AM

The Entlib 3.1 only targets .NET Framework 2.0 or 3.0 while the Entlib 5.0 targets .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 or 4.0. So with .NET Framework 4.0 the recommended Entlib version is the latest which is 5.0. HTH.

Gino Terrado
Global Technologies and Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@avanade.com

May 19, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Thank you very much for quick response.

I understand the recommendation.

Are there any issues if we continue to use 3.1?

Is there a way to continue using Entlib 3.1? either by recompiling 3.1 in 4.0 framework or we will have to move to Ent lib 5.0?

May 20, 2011 at 4:41 AM

Unfortunately, I couldn't tell any specific issue. What I'm worried is the unforeseen issues that may come out during development. I haven't personally tried using Entlib 3.1 into a .NET 4 App. Also note that Entlib 3.1 is already in the list of the Retired Releases of Entlib therefore support is somehow would be a little hard to get.

As for recompiling Entlib 3.1 in .NET 4 that may look like a lot of work rather than using EntLib 5.0 instead. Anyway, personally there's a lot of good stuff on Entlib 5.0 that is way better than Entlib 3.1, you may want to consider that as well. Hope this helps :o).

Gino Terrado
Global Technologies and Solutions
Avanade, Inc.
entlib.support@avanade.com

May 20, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Thanks Gino.

Guess, its better we move to framework 4.0 along with Entlib 5.0. Will keep this thread updated on what we will do.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

//umesh