"Format of the initialization string does not conform to specification starting at index 31.

Topics: Data Access Application Block
Apr 14, 2011 at 8:35 AM

Dear all,

i'm a newbie to Enterprise Library 5.0. I' m using Visual Studio 2010, C# and Oracle . I'm getting this error when i run a Stored Procedure.

My app.config is that:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
        <section name="oracleConnectionSettings" type="Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Data.Oracle.Configuration.OracleConnectionSettings, Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Data, Version=5.0.414.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" requirePermission="false" />

<add name="system-XE" connectionString="User Id=system;Password=system;system-XE system@//localhost:1521/XE;"
        <add name="system-XE" />
                <binding name="BasicHttpBinding_IService1" closeTimeout="00:01:00" openTimeout="00:01:00" receiveTimeout="00:10:00" sendTimeout="00:01:00" allowCookies="false" bypassProxyOnLocal="false" hostNameComparisonMode="StrongWildcard" maxBufferSize="65536" maxBufferPoolSize="524288" maxReceivedMessageSize="65536" messageEncoding="Text" textEncoding="utf-8" transferMode="Buffered" useDefaultWebProxy="true">
                    <readerQuotas maxDepth="32" maxStringContentLength="8192" maxArrayLength="16384" maxBytesPerRead="4096" maxNameTableCharCount="16384"/>
                    <security mode="None">
                        <transport clientCredentialType="None" proxyCredentialType="None" realm=""/>
                        <message clientCredentialType="UserName" algorithmSuite="Default"/>
            <endpoint address="http://localhost:2167/Service1.svc" binding="basicHttpBinding" bindingConfiguration="BasicHttpBinding_IService1" contract="ServiceReference1.IService1" name="BasicHttpBinding_IService1"/>
<startup><supportedRuntime version="v4.0" sku=".NETFramework,Version=v4.0"/></startup></configuration>

I'm getting the error when it arrives to db.ExecuteNonQuery(dbCommand)
Now i post my code:
            string database = "system-XE";         
            Database db = DatabaseFactory.CreateDatabase(database);
            string sProc = "GETPROVA";         
            DbCommand dbCommand = db.GetStoredProcCommand(sProc);
            db.AddOutParameter(dbCommand, "p_COGNOME", DbType.String, 30);

Could you help me to resolve it?

<!-- <add name="system-XE" connectionString="system-XE system@//localhost:1521/XE" providerName="System.Data.OracleClient" />-->

Apr 14, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Anyone can help me???

Thanks a lot.

Apr 15, 2011 at 12:54 AM

Kindly check if you are using the correct connectionstring syntax. Since you are using System.Data.OracleClient as your data provider, i guess you need to conform to its standard connectionstring syntax. Kindly refer here

Noel Angelo Bolasoc
Global Technologies and Solutions
Avanade, Inc.

Apr 15, 2011 at 8:20 AM

Hi, thanks a lot for the reply.

I see your link, which say:

Specifying username and password

Data Source=MyOracleDB;User Id=myUsername;Password=myPassword;Integrated Security=no;

I used Enterprise Library Configuration Tool, which automatically provided me the connectionStrings without User Id and Password. Then, i've added User Id=system and Password=system in my connectionString.

Also i tried to use

connectionString="system-XE system@//localhost:1521/XE;User Id=system;Password=system;"

but i have an exception:

{"Keyword not supported: 'system-xe system@//localhost:1521/xe;user id'."}

Now in my app.config i have:

<add name="system-XE" connectionString="User Id=system;Password=system;system-XE system@//localhost:1521/XE;"

Is it different from your link?

Thanks a lot for your

Apr 15, 2011 at 9:19 AM

You have to supply the datasource (name of your oracle database) as specified on the link:

Data Source=MyOracleDB;User Id=myUsername;Password=myPassword;Integrated Security=no.

Sorry but I'm not familiar on the part 'system-XE system@//localhost:1521/XE'. Can you try to omit those? You will notice that the error is pointing to that part.

Noel Angelo Bolasoc
Avanade, Inc.

Apr 15, 2011 at 9:28 AM

Connection Name: system-XE

Host name= localhost

Port= 1521

Connection Details= system-XE system@//localhost:1521/XE

system-XE is the default Db connection which is in Oracke SQL Developer

Thanks very much.

Apr 15, 2011 at 9:57 AM

I'm not  aware on this type of connection string on Oracle but have you tried the other one which is also found on the link?

Some reported problems with the one above and Visual Studio. Use the this one if you've encountered problems.
Data Source=(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=MyHost)(PORT=MyPort))(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=MyOracleSID)));User Id=myUsername;Password=myPassword;

Noel Angelo Bolasoc
Avanade, Inc.

Apr 15, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Thanks very much! It run successfully! i used :

Data Source=(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=MyHost)(PORT=MyPort))(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=MyOracleSID)));User Id=myUsername;Password=myPassword;