You've got to be kidding me.

Topics: Building and extending application blocks, Logging Application Block
Apr 1, 2011 at 12:13 PM

I'm trying to understand why I would ever want to add the complexities presented by the Enterprise Library and it's configuration tool to any of my applications.
I cannot find any single reason.

All I need is to log/write to some (of my own) columns in a database.
Can you do it straight of the box? No.
Is it in the Developers Guide? No.
Is it somewhere online? Sure.
Is it up to date? No.

What a waste of time.

Apr 1, 2011 at 1:11 PM

Dear Dewald,

The Enterprise Library focusses, as it name implies, designed for enterprise applications. Enterprise Library is extremely flexible, which is a core feature for most enterprise applications. Result of this is that it is more complex to use. Don't forget that the Enterprise Library is just an open source project, as all other open source projects out there. Creating good quality and up-to-date documentation is hard, and most open source projects lack good documentation.

When you have any specific question about one of the parts of the Enterprise Library, you can ask here or Stackoverflow.com. If you're looking for an easier logging framework, try CuttingEdge.Logging (for instance with this configuration).

Good luck.

Apr 1, 2011 at 2:15 PM

Thanks,

Perhaps we should try and define exactly what an Enterprise application is? Because if what I'm working on right now isn't, then I don't know what is.
What I can tell you though is this; Whether you're writing a tiny application or a huge so called 'Enterprise application', nothing needs to be made more complicated than it really need to be. Not even in the name of Flexibility.

OK. So it's an Open source project. Once again have I been reminded why I detest any such product - because no one can be held accountable.

Thanks again for the link, but I believe I'll be spending my weekend trying to make up for lost time.

Apr 7, 2011 at 7:49 AM
Edited Apr 7, 2011 at 7:49 AM

I would agree with Dewald here. I have spent a week and haven't found even a single good reason to use Enterprise library in my project. It has been a total waste of time. I don't wanna sound like a complete snob here but I believe the true essence of using design patterns has been lost while building this library.

Sep 9, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Well, you must remember that EntLib takes some time to learn because it addresses a LOT of common scenarios that could happen in applications; for example, consider this scenario:

When your code encounters an exception, three things must happen: auditing exception DETAILS goes to a separate audit database, whereas an audit SUMMARY gets logged in the event viewer, and the final piece is to send an email to the server administrator that audits have been logged.

With EntLib, it's all matter of CONFIGURATION (using the configuration tool will suffice) instead of having to WRITE YOUR OWN CODE. The configuration should take you roughly about 5 minutes.

Dewald,

I was able to implement what you wanted to do (write to some database columns) as soon as I read about the Logging Application Block in the CHM file provided for EntLib 5; did you go through the CHM file? It's really simple.