Replacing Objectbuilder.dll with ObjectBuilder2.dll

Topics: General discussion
Oct 28, 2010 at 3:52 PM

We use CAB, and use Microsoft Practices and Patterns 3.1. There are references to Objectbuilder.dll and CompositeUI and CompositeUI.Winforms is included in the source code itself. W are trying to retire 3.1 and upgrade to EntLib 4.1 which uses Objectbuilder2.dll Just replacing the DLL throws many exceptions. What is the best and clean way to retire ObjectBuilder.dll. Where can I find the source code for CompositeUI and CompositeUI.Winforms which uses Objectbuolder2.dll?

Oct 29, 2010 at 2:49 AM
Edited Oct 29, 2010 at 5:15 AM

Did you replace the rest of the entlib assemblies as well with the 4.1 version?  Are you directly using any of the classes from ObjectBuilder version 1?   The best way is to use install the version you want to use and update your configuration file so that it references the correct version. 

I don't know much about the Composite UI Application Block, better ask it over the Smart Client Community.

Sarah Urmeneta
Global Technology and Solutions
Avanade, Inc.

Oct 29, 2010 at 2:22 PM

Yes, the CompositeUI and CompositeUI.Winforms which are a source code for SmartClient Software Factory April 2008 version are included in the project source code and are referencing the ObjectBuiler.dll directly. The only assembly being referenced was the ObjectBuilder.dll and I have replaced that with the ObjectBuilder2.dll. I guess the 2008 version of smartclient is not compatible with the entlib 4.1?? I have posted a similar question in the Smart Client Community too.

Thanks for your reply!

Oct 30, 2010 at 2:53 AM

ObjectBuilder and ObjectBuilder2 are not compatible, thus the different names. The CAB / SCSF stuff has not been, and probably won't be, revved for the new version of ObjectBuilder. Nor does it need to be. You can reference both in the same project, shouldn't be an issue as long as you're not trying to extend ObjectBuilder itself.