SqlConfigurationSource - Refactor for 5.0

Topics: Building and extending application blocks, Data Access Application Block, Enterprise Library Core, General discussion
Oct 26, 2010 at 6:01 PM

So I noticed several discussion threads from a few months ago in regards to using the SqlConfigurationSource in Entlib 5.0

Not being one to wait around indefinitely I thought I would pull down the code and upgrade it to use the 5.0 stuff. "How hard could it be?" I thought. Ok, so I have been using Entlib for a while now (since 2.0), but never really opened the hood. Unfortunately it appears that there are some major architectural differences between 4.1 and 5.0 that have me at a loss for how to proceed.

I would really like to move forward with this, but I am also impatient enough to not want to wait on someone else. So...

Can anyone on the P&P team point me in the right direction? How much refactoring is necessary to port this thing to 5.0?

There are some types that are gone like...

...and some interfaces that have drastically different contracts like...

Overall though the actual SqlConfigurationSource and the SqlConfigurationSource.Design projects don't look that complicated. Is there a good example I should be looking at for 5.0 that would show me how I should be implementing something similar? I know you guys are "swamped" so if I can do the grunt work with some guidance and then submit it all back that might help out. There seems to at least be genuine desire to have this functionality in 5.0

Ok, so sorry for the barrage of questions.

Thanks in advance for the help (that is such a presumptuous statement isn't it),

Oct 26, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Stay tuned... 

Actually, I started work on the port yesterday. We're also going to be releasing an example lab on how to build a configuration source soon as well.

You're right that the underpinning stuff has changed pretty radically. Luckily it's easier to build, but I'm actually throwing out the existing quickstart and starting from scratch as it's faster / easier than trying to port stuff.

Oct 27, 2010 at 1:48 AM

Sweet! This is good news.

So I hate to be the "so when do you think you'll have it?" guy, but it is relevant to a project I am currently working on. Hence the elevated interest. Anyway, it's not meant to be a "hurry up and get it done" sort of comment, more of a rough ballpark estimate for planning purposes.

Is this something that would be available as an edge release before all the i's are dotted and t's crossed?

Thanks for the quick reply by the way, and I have to say I am very pleased with the latest version of Entlib. You guys are starting to get pretty good at this ;)

-- Josh

Oct 28, 2010 at 12:58 AM

Thanks for the feedback.

We plan this as an out-of-band source code release before the end of Nov.

- Grigori

Nov 23, 2010 at 7:09 PM

looking forward to see this impatiently... thank you all.

Nov 23, 2010 at 11:45 PM

Bit of a schedule ship - due to travel schedules, holidays, illnesses and a sudden snowstorm, it'll probably be pushed into the first or second week of December. Think of it as a Christmas present. :-)

Dec 3, 2010 at 1:04 AM

This is now available for download here.

Sarah Urmeneta
Global Technologies and Solutions
Avanade, Inc.