Entlib 5 Custom Validator Documentation or Software Factory?

Topics: Validation Application Block
Oct 21, 2010 at 1:36 PM

The documentation for creating a custom validator is woefully lacking.   I found this article http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/bursteg/archive/2007/07/26/CustomValidatorApplicationBlockSoftwareFactory.aspx but it is based on usage of a software factory that to my knowledge no longer exists for the current entlib release.

Does anyone know of a good guide for creating a custom typed validator from scratch?

Thank you,

Oct 21, 2010 at 6:33 PM

I found sufficient documentation in the labs..The regular documentation (chm) should either be completed or at least say "See the labs for details on how to create a custom validator".   I spent way too much time trying to track down proper documentation.

Additionally, the VB documentation is incorrect in at least one spot regarding the default constructor required for classes that inherit from ValueValidator.

Pg 58 of the VB Validation Lab Instructions shows an incorrect default constructor. The default constructor of ValidatorData based classes needs to set its Type property. Ex.

Public Sub New()
End Sub

Without this, the configuration editor will save with a blank type attribute and then when you run you will get an argument null exception from Activator.

Oct 21, 2010 at 11:03 PM
Edited Oct 21, 2010 at 11:04 PM

You're correct, this is related to this issue on the custom validator with full integration with the configuration tool. 

Sarah Urmeneta
Global Technology & Solutions
Avande, Inc.