EntLib 5.0 Configuration tool not working for logging

Topics: Logging Application Block
Sep 29, 2010 at 3:38 PM

Hey Everyone,

I am trying to use the configuration tool for entlib 5.0 logging.  I have created a customTraceListener but for some reason the config tool won't load the assembly when clicking add from file.  It won't load any assembly and I can't find any documentation of how to set it up manually.  So essentially I am stuck and can't continue.  Any ideas?  Have I missed something?

Sep 30, 2010 at 3:07 AM

As far as I know a custom trace listener will not load or be available in the config tool if the custom tracelistener class does not qualify or not properly created. Could you send us a copy of your custom tracelistener class for us to further investigate. Thanks

Gino Terrado
Global Technology and Solutions
Avanade, Inc.

Sep 30, 2010 at 4:20 AM

In addition to what Gino said, here are some things to check:

1.  The custom trace listener class should be decorated with the ConfigurationElementType attribute. 

2.  The custom trace listener class should inherit from the CustomTraceListener base class.

3.  If your custom trace listener is placed in an assembly that has been previously loaded before in the config tool, it won't be reloaded again and thus the copy of the assembly won't get updated to the version that contains the custom trace listener.  The simple workaround would be to close and re-open Visual Studio.

Sarah Urmeneta
Global Technology and Solution
Avanade, Inc.

Sep 30, 2010 at 3:11 PM

Thanks for the replies,

My class is decorated correctly and I have opened and closed visual studio many times without any help.  However, I was able copy the configuration from another config file and replace where necessary. However, the configuration is something to work on.

Thanks for the help,

Apr 1, 2011 at 9:19 AM

I faced the similar issue, but, if you open the configuration with right version of the EntlibConfig exe then it would list the assemblies fine. For me my target .Net version was .Net 4.0 and I think by default the App.Config was opened by pre .Net 4.0 exe and it could not load the Custom Listener.  Then I opened with EntlibConfig.Net4.exe it worked fine.