Visual Studio 2008 Compatibility

Topics: General discussion, Pre-release discussions
Feb 12, 2008 at 6:55 PM
Edited Feb 13, 2008 at 10:21 PM
Is it possible to use Visual Studio 2008 with the May 2007 version of the Enterprise Library or do we have to wait until Entlib 4.0 is out?

I think I read Entlib should be out sometime in February. Is that still the schedule?

Thanks.
Feb 13, 2008 at 4:29 PM
I have just started to look ast EntLib 3.x (in 2008). I have found that the Quick Starts I looked at compiled and ran without any issues (with only one simple line code change in the windows form code, not an issue with the library itself). The quick start was able to post a couple of exceptions. However the Configuration tool does not work in 2008 IDE at (not a big deal, I can use the external config tool). This is by no means conculsive, just my first impression.

It looks like the next release of EntLib is set for March 2008: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/practices/bb232643.aspx

So to expand on your question: is there anything that would not work in 2008 (I assume there should not be any issues). I also wonder how significant the changes are in 4.0. Can my team begin implementing using 3.1 and expect a fairly straight forward upgrade path to 4.0, or are the differences in 4.0 significant enough that I should consider waiting to begin implementing (specifically exception handling and logging)? This is not really an option for us, but I would like to be aware of what is coming, as we are on 2008.
Feb 13, 2008 at 6:33 PM
The only thing that you will have difficulty with in VS 2008 is the built in config editor. Other than that you can start looking @ 3.1 and 4.0 will have no backward compatibility issues. You will just need to rebuild your config files to point to the new assembly versions.
Feb 13, 2008 at 10:03 PM
Edited Feb 13, 2008 at 10:05 PM
Thanks for the great information.

I had went ahead with 3.x just to see what would happen and so far, so good with VS 2008.

Thanks for these application blocks and the library. Looking forward to 4.0.