run-time reflection of Rules?

Topics: Validation Application Block
Feb 4, 2008 at 9:51 PM
Edited Feb 5, 2008 at 1:58 PM
I have a (most likely) strange requirement for validation and am trying to use the VAB.
We have a pre object (what the object was before editing) and post object (containing the changes the user made). What we want to do is only validate those fields that were changed by the user. The objects are subtypes of a base class. Each subtype has various properties that we want to validate (if it changed).

This works great with straight forward validation where I can have the types defined and the different properties defined in a config file to control the validation. But now I need to know which properties are defined in the config file for each type and then apply the validation to the property if and only if it changed. (don't ask why, there are a variety of reasons).

Anyway, I thought perhaps I could reflect on the Rule set to get the list of members/rules and control the validation. But I don't see a way to do that reflection.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Update - never mind. I've pretty well convinced myself that what I need to do here cannot be driven by the VAB configuration so I'm pursuing other avenues. But still use VAB for the plumbing.