Will Security Block deprecated?

Topics: Caching Application Block , Security Application Block
May 17, 2010 at 10:30 AM

I was looking through the Using Enterprise Library 5.0 in Windows Azure white paper from this website. In SAB section I found a statement:

The credentials cache is implemented by the Caching block, and therefore the Security block may be deprecated or change considerably in future releases of Enterprise Library.

As for me, it doesn't make sense. Could somebody clarify this statement? Why the Security block may be deprecated and how the Caching block related to that?

May 17, 2010 at 5:02 PM

We haven't made any plans for future version of Enterprise Library yet - we just got 5.0 out the door and are finishing up the Hands on labs. Moving forward, we are constantly evaluating if the blocks we ship still deliver sufficient value to warrant the cost of maintaining them. The Security block only does two things now: the "expression language" authorization stuff, and caching of authentication tokens. This latter function uses the Caching block.

The azure guys were a little overzealous - they aren't on the Entlib team and we have not decided to deprecate anything - yet. Having said that, Caching and Security are on my personal list of blocks to drop. Caching is now built into .NET 4.0, so there's no reason for us to be maintaining a separate one. Security is tiny, doesn't do anything mainline useful, and has very few users. So if it's a question of customer value add vs. resources required to maintain them, they're pretty low.

But I am not the product owner or project planner, and we haven't made any decisions, and won't even start thinking about this for several months. And development on the next rev isn't going to start for a while either.