Unable to register Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary on new server

May 14, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Our SharePoint portal application is using the Microsoft Practices DLL (like Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Common.dll, Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder.dll and some). We are setting up the application on new server and getting the error of "could not load the assembly" of missing DLL (above mentioned DLL) when we try to access the portal on new machine. So, I copied the same DLL from existing server and trying to register on new server and getting the error of “strong name required”. Please let me know how to install the dependency DLL on new server to avoid this issue.

More details about application: MOSS 2007, SQL 2005, Windows 2003.

Any help is much appreciated.

Please let us know if you have any questions?

Raja K

May 14, 2010 at 3:39 PM

What version of Enterprise Library are you using? Did you build it yourself? Have the exact same binaries worked in the same configuration on other machines? What does fuslogvw tell you? What is the full error message?

May 14, 2010 at 4:46 PM

We are using 2.0 version of Enterprise library. We built the DLL our self on test server (which we installed studio 2005) and try to deploy the same DLL on new server (we have not installed studio 2005).

May 16, 2010 at 1:17 AM

By "register on new server" I assume you mean place in the GAC? If that is the case, placing in the GAC requires a strong named (cryptographically signed) assembly. Your assembly is not signed. You will need to recompile it with a strong name.