Entlib 3 Migration Headaches with Workflow Foundation

Topics: Enterprise Library Core, Exception Handling Application Block, Logging Application Block
Aug 10, 2007 at 12:25 PM
Hi,

I am having headaches with workflow foundation and enterprise library.

I have workflows (state machines) using SQL persistance and a single runtime controller service that are currently using Enterprise Library 2.0.1.0 libraries for logging and exception handling. I would like to migrate to EntLib 3.1 now but I have a tricky problem..

I have multiple versions of the workflows running simultaneously because of process changes that have been implemented after the initial release to live.

It is quite simple for me to change the references on the current versions of the workflows, but what do I do with the old versions that will still be referencing the EntLib 2 DLLs (all I have of the old workflows is the assembly)?

Is there some way to have multiple versions of EntLib running in one application? I am not sure how this would look in the configuration file.
Aug 10, 2007 at 4:06 PM
Hi,

If you're using signed versions of the Entlib 2.0 assemblies you could set up a binding policy to map the 2.0 assemblies to 3.1 assemblies (and to a lot of testing to make sure everything works).

I don't think you can have a working configuration file even if you could have multiple versions of entlib SxS, as the sections can be only defined once.

Fernando