Topics: Building and extending application blocks
Aug 9, 2007 at 7:37 PM
Hello all, I am upgrading Enterprise Library from version 2.0 to 3.1. I am getting an error in my code about a missing assembly reference. I added the new Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.AppSettings.Configuration.Design.dll reference but I am having issue updating the old Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Configuration.ConfigurationView.

Am I missing something?
Aug 10, 2007 at 3:10 PM

Class Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Configuration.ConfigurationView was removed in v2.0. Are you sure you're using the right assemblies?

It shouldn't be necessary to add a reference to Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.AppSettings.Configuration.Design.dll, or any other Design assembly; they are only used by the configuration tools.

How are you referencing EntLib? Do you include the projects in your solution or do you reference the binaries?

Aug 10, 2007 at 3:32 PM

Hi Fernando,

I am referencing the binaries in my project. I'm not sure I am using the right assemblies however. Have they chaged the names of any of these assemblies?
Aug 10, 2007 at 8:08 PM

An easy way to verify the references is to open the csproj file and look at the <Reference> elements for EntLib's assemblies.

Some assemblies did change their names since v2, but none of the assemblies that you would usually reference from your projects even if you were extending the library, like the assemblies for providers that depend on other blocks (like the EH logging handler) and their desing time assemblies. However you mentioned that you have an issue with a class that was removed in v2, so the problem might be a bit more complex than the renames.